Dangerous street parking

Does anybody know who I should contact to raise awareness about the way people park on our street?

There are 3 main issues that I'm seeing;

1. The street isn't overly wide, meaning that there would be almost no chance of a fire engine getting to any house that needed it, when cars are parked both sides of the road.

2. People regularly park overhanging my driveway. This makes it very difficult to see when trying to get off the drive (if they've left enough room to get off the drive in the first place!). I've almost had a crash a couple of times because of this. I know the rules around dropped kerbs, but this really pushes those limits.

3. A lot of people walk down the road to get to and from the school. Many have prams as well as small kids walking with them, and end up having to walk down the middle of the road because the cars have parked on the pavements and not left enough room for prams to get by.

Clearly there is real risk here that someone could get seriously hurt or worse.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

Report it to the council if you think it's a hazard.. not sure what they'd do about it though, maybe ask your neighbours to send in complaints too..

Which road is this?

Guest sibon

This is the advice from the Police.

I'd phone 101 and encourage your neighbours to do likewise. You might have to be insistent with the call taker, make sure that they log your complaint properly.

Report it to the council if you think it's a hazard.. not sure what they'd do about it though, maybe ask your neighbours to send in complaints too..

Which road is this?

Charnock Crescent

Charnock Crescent

Wrong side of Sheffield to me..

I asked because where i work (in Hillsborough) the roads above are terrible for this, theres a school and all the roads around it are riddled with cars and sometimes people park in such inconsiderate ways that you'd never get emergency vehicles down them..

Bloomin nightmare!

All the houses seem to have drives and by the street view few cars are parked on the road. How many cars are we talking parking on the pavements/road side and why aren't people using their drives?

All the houses seem to have drives and by the street view few cars are parked on the road. How many cars are we talking parking on the pavements/road side and why aren't people using their drives?

People do use their drives, but they have multiple cars. Sometimes the road can be fairly clear, i.e when people are off at work, but when everyone is home, it gets bad.

2. People regularly park overhanging my driveway. This makes it very difficult to see when trying to get off the drive (if they've left enough room to get off the drive in the first place!). I've almost had a crash a couple of times because of this. I know the rules around dropped kerbs, but this really pushes those limits.

You can get and "H" marking put across the end of your drive. These are only advisory but most drivers observe them. There is a cost. See: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/request-h-disabled-bay-markings

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 17:32 ----------

3. A lot of people walk down the road to get to and from the school. Many have prams as well as small kids walking with them, and end up having to walk down the middle of the road because the cars have parked on the pavements and not left enough room for prams to get by.

As Sibon says above, call 101 and report the matter to the Police.

They normally apply the double buggy test to matters of obstruction ie can a double buggy get past without having to go into the road?

You can get and "H" marking put across the end of your drive. These are only advisory but most drivers observe them. There is a cost.

A tin of paint from B&Q , a tenner , job done

You can get and "H" marking put across the end of your drive. These are only advisory but most drivers observe them. There is a cost. See: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/request-h-disabled-bay-markings

They normally apply the double buggy test to matters of obstruction ie can a double buggy get past without having to go into the road?

Sadly very few drivers observe the 'H' markers. I've been unable to get onto my drive, or more annoyingly unable to get off my drive on numerous occasions at school arrival and home time. I try to avoid going out/getting home at these times but I'm often made to feel like I'm being unreasonable when asking people to move so I access or leave my home!

Try and get a double buggy down Kendall Road or the top stretch of Oakland Road - cars blocking the pavement on both sides - it's often impossible for even pedestrians to use the footpath and end up walking in the road.

Guest sibon
Try and get a double buggy down Kendall Road or the top stretch of Oakland Road - cars blocking the pavement on both sides - it's often impossible for even pedestrians to use the footpath and end up walking in the road.

Have you phoned 101?