Moving out of rented

we are nearly there with the purchase of our own house so will be moving out of our rented house. now i know the landlord will expect it to be reasonably clean but am i expected to have the carpets cleaned? we have done our best to keep them clean but with it being a light colour theres only so much we can do so there is the odd mark on the stairs and dis-colourment where it's used regulary.

General wear and tear is expected but stains, rips or other damage isn't very good.

That applies to the house in general though, so if you put abit of effort into cleaning the place up before handing it back you don't usually have issues.

A Rug doctor is about 20 quid to rent? They're also pretty good at removing alot of stains.

So twenty quid spent now might save lots of hassle and arguments over the deposit?

we are nearly there with the purchase of our own house so will be moving out of our rented house. now i know the landlord will expect it to be reasonably clean but am i expected to have the carpets cleaned? we have done our best to keep them clean but with it being a light colour theres only so much we can do so there is the odd mark on the stairs and dis-colourment where it's used regulary.

Personally I would get them cleaned properly Nervy because it all depends on how your landlord defines acceptable wear and tear.

We left one apartment in what we considered perfect condition and the landlady kept £100 back from our deposit to clean carpets and the oven even though we had already done them.

We left another house in decent / clean condition but not exactly perfect and the landlady gave us all the deposit back and thanked us for being perfect tenants.

I'd make a comment here on this - "...it all depends on how your landlord defines acceptable wear and tear." - and just say that trouble might arise because of that - but a Landlord is not the final arbiter of what constitutes fair wear and tear, by any means.

If you dispute it then take it to the Deposit Protection Scheme that your deposit is held with. Landlords generally have a poor understanding of fair wear and tear and will play on a Tenant's guilt to get more than is deserved. Everything depreciates, you see, and if a 'thing' has had 5 years use in a let property, and it has an expected lifetime of 10 years, then even if it's completely destroyed or just missing the Landlord can only claim 50% of its value back.

A Landlord cannot say - the carpet is not usable now so I'd want you to pay for its complete replacement - even though that might sound somewhat sensible and even reasonable.

If in doubt of anything take good photos of it which are date stamped