Old furniture valuation

I have a couple of pieces of old furniture that i could do with seeing if they have any value before i destroy them as i don't want to take them with us to a new house. Does anyone have any idea of the best way to get an honest valuation or is it a case of visiting a few antique dealers with a picture and see what they make of it.

Not sure if there was a better section to post this

Search ebay for a similar item?

Take care. Many years ago, being young and naïve, I sold to a dealer some, what to me appeared ugly, old furniture of my Mum's. It was only in later years I found that it was priceless to Americans and there was big business selling and shipping out to them. If it isn't worth much there are quite a few small businesses that do this "shabby chic" look on old furniture and may be interested.

All good advice, if you do consider antique valuations however don't forget they will be at auction price - and with Edwardian tables going for £10-15 each, and mid 19th century bedroom sets going at under £50 prices aren't that great.

Unless it's some Chippendale number or something with a mouse on it.

take a photo to a dealer,see what he offers you ,then do your homework.can you post a photo on this site.

I have two walnut veneer wardrobes with matching dressing table over 60 years old, I asked at a couple of places and they said there was no call for them so they are still in the spare room. Also a display cabinet that they said there was no call for and couldn't sell. I live in hope as they are nice pieces and would be a shame to destroy them.

Brown furniture, as it’s called in the Antiques trade, does not seem to be moving, I have four pieces of G Plan Garrick range rose wood bedroom furniture, proper solid built furniture not flat pack, cost us an arm and a leg in 1985 it’s been on Gum tree for ages not a sniff, I did the same searched ebay for prices and pieces of G Plan are going for silly low prices so mine are going to a charity we have used before for people who will get benefit from them I to live in hope that they are looked after and not tea cup ringed.

Edited by MEC176

I've seen some Brown furniture painted up with chalk paint and titivated with transfers etc, fetching a good price in boutique shops. Might be worth having a bash at it yourself. Just an idea. (make sure it's not a priceless antique first.)

I've seen some Brown furniture painted up with chalk paint and titivated with transfers etc, fetching a good price in boutique shops. Might be worth having a bash at it yourself. Just an idea. (make sure it's not a priceless antique first.)

We had thought about that but the furniture is to good to strip and it would

take age's the cost for Nitromors and some where to do it, there is some one in the Nichols Building Antiques place down Shalesmoor who renovates furniture he has loads of brown furniture waiteing to be done, thanks any way. :)

Ive a 1930s bookcase and a couple of other bits from my family home. As I now live in a 1930s house, they fit in perfectly. Even if I wanted to sell them, I doubt anyone would want them enough to pay money!