Expansion advice please

i started my small business around 6 months ago and I'm really pleased with how it's going.

We supply Afternoon Tea and depending on the clients requirments we either just deliver or offer a full set up service - which includes vintage crockery, table cloths, flowers, buntings etc etc.

We have catered for a range of clients including Baby Showers, Birthday Parties,

Romantic Tea for Two and a small wedding party.

I am intrested now in expanding the business further and would like to open

'Pop Ups' but not sure how to go about this - for example

1. Should I buy a 'unit' of some sort to allow us to trade out of ( with the appropriate licence etc) ?

2. Should I approach people to use their facilities e.g Galas and fetes etc - pay to use the community centre for example ?

Does anyone have experiences they would be willing to share or indeed any one

With any advice would be appreciated.

I would have thought a "pop up shop" at fairs would work. Often there is food or drink being served somewhere at those type of things however it is hard to get a decent cup of tea.

A lot of cafés and coffee shops serve Twinings Everyday Tea as there only option which I hate. Doesn't matter how long I leave the bag in it still tastes off nothing. I would much prefer Yorkshire Tea. However maybe its just me!

I often order coffee instead because it tastes acceptable, there is a trend for coffee and I think most businesses provide tea a secondary less important option because it's not as popular. But there are still plenty of tea drinkers around who would like to be able to get a decent cup of tea when were out somewhere.

Thank you both for your comments.

Tinfoilhat - your suggestion would be great. However, although business is good,

I would not be able to afford this option at the moment. Hence looking for something in the "middle" of what we offer now and your suggestion.

Would be ideal though and it's my future aim.

Thank you both for your comments.

Tinfoilhat - your suggestion would be great. However, although business is good,

I would not be able to afford this option at the moment. Hence looking for something in the "middle" of what we offer now and your suggestion.

Would be ideal though and it's my future aim.

It's an expensive way of doing it that's for sure. But you could still possibly offer something quirky and mobile without spending buckets on a posh vintage van. I've no ideas at all ;) and you know your business better than I do, but with a bit of lateral thinking you could come up with something not too expensive for the wedding/events market.

I guess the potential problem with a unit is that it may take a bit of time for word to get around that you are there and it's good - and if it's "pop up" - you may be gone before word filters through.

i think your idea is really unique and interesting. I would def get some kind of van with the magnetic advertising on so that people start to become familiar with your brand. I think the idea of going for things like some of the craft fayres / farmers markets and stuff could well work. have you thought of approaching people like the Women's Institute and offering it to them as a "special?" How have you got word out so far? Community halls etc may also work well if you do a good hit of publicity beforehand.

Maybe think about who your target audience is and then think where you will get them. It may be that you do events at certain places where you know that target audience will be - with a view to them ordering private Afternoon Teas from that.

Another idea may be one of the local magazines and getting an article in that. They are called different things for different parts of Sheffield, Rotherham and The Peak District and have content directed at that demographic. It's quite costly but it you think of your target audience, where geographically they may live and choose your mag. Here's a link to them http://www.rmcmedia.co.uk

Good luck. I think it sounds a unique idea and the old teacups etc fits well with the vintage "thing" that is very in at the moment.

Hope this helps a bit

I guess the potential problem with a unit is that it may take a bit of time for word to get around that you are there and it's good - and if it's "pop up" - you may be gone before word filters through.

i think your idea is really unique and interesting. I would def get some kind of van with the magnetic advertising on so that people start to become familiar with your brand. I think the idea of going for things like some of the craft fayres / farmers markets and stuff could well work. have you thought of approaching people like the Women's Institute and offering it to them as a "special?" How have you got word out so far? Community halls etc may also work well if you do a good hit of publicity beforehand.

Maybe think about who your target audience is and then think where you will get them. It may be that you do events at certain places where you know that target audience will be - with a view to them ordering private Afternoon Teas from that.

Another idea may be one of the local magazines and getting an article in that. They are called different things for different parts of Sheffield, Rotherham and The Peak District and have content directed at that demographic. It's quite costly but it you think of your target audience, where geographically they may live and choose your mag. Here's a link to them http://www.rmcmedia.co.uk

Good luck. I think it sounds a unique idea and the old teacups etc fits well with the vintage "thing" that is very in at the moment.

Hope this helps a bit

Its not unique, there have been quite a few people doing this for a while. To the O.P, look at your competitors.

I know licences / fees to have a stand at big events can be astronomical but the rewards can be too if you are prepared to work the hours. At certain evens they can set terms such as you must provide a snack and a drink for a certain amount. My husbands friend used to, may still do, various large events with a food and drink van.

I went to the NEC last week and there were tea and cake vans and tents. Some sticking to afternoon tea, some adding bacon butties, some just doing drinks, cake and biscuits.

It depends how much work you want to put in and how much money you have to invest.