Beauchief Hotel closing?

So I`ve heard. presume that means Brewkitchen / Thornbridge are not renewing their option. Shame but the pub there never quite got it right after a promising start imho.

The only time in recent years I saw it busy was when they had those dreadful oldies nights downstairs on Friday and Saturday when it was packed not sure why they stopped them suspect they had complaints from neighbours.

Heard on the grape vine that its due to the roof not being safe.

that's a shame the bar downstairs was nice too but I guess not enough people new about it

that's a shame the bar downstairs was nice too but I guess not enough people new about it

Oh I think they did mate. That was the old Michelle's bar that was a cult place back in the day.

I wrote a review on TripAdvisor about the Beauchief restaurant a few years ago, shortly after it re-opened. My comments were, "could be fantastic - but it isn't". Very poorly managed in my opinion and the food didn't live up to expectation. So, it's closing down again eh? I'm surprised it lasted so long given how poorly it was run.

Pity. It used to be excellent at one time.

Oh I think they did mate. That was the old Michelle's bar that was a cult place back in the day.

I wrote a review on TripAdvisor about the Beauchief restaurant a few years ago, shortly after it re-opened. My comments were, "could be fantastic - but it isn't". Very poorly managed in my opinion and the food didn't live up to expectation. So, it's closing down again eh? I'm surprised it lasted so long given how poorly it was run.

Pity. It used to be excellent at one time.

It was good many years ago when run by Michel Limon.

Then it was rubbish under Christian Kent

Then it was very briefly very good when Charlie and Kelly were running it (now at their own place down the road - Peppercorn).

Then it went rubbish again under Jack Baker .

Now its shut.

I dunno if I'm being over simplistic, but it seems like it'd be hard to get this place wrong. Good location, large catchment, lots of local money, great building. Facilities seem decent. Strange that it can't be a success.

Its seems that complacency sets in about a month after people take it on. I wonder if there is a gas leak in there that affects everyone that tries!

With investment it could/should be a really good boutique hotel/bar/restaurant.

Its seems that complacency sets in about a month after people take it on. I wonder if there is a gas leak in there that affects everyone that tries!

With investment it could/should be a really good boutique hotel/bar/restaurant.

There's something wrong though - as I've never been in it and I've passed it hundreds of times and I've been in loads of horrible pubs too. Maybe the location is part of the problem - it's a very busy junction that usually you are just glad to have got past rather than trying to find somewhere to park nearby (yes I know there's a carpark).

It somehow doesn't look like it's a pub for a casual visit, more a hotel that doesn't really want non-residents. I don't think there are enough walk-up customers nearby so people have to drive, so it's mainly an eating place. I can't see many younger people making the effort to go there. In summer you don't see loads of punters outside with drinks.

The area is a bit dead too so it's not a destination in itself. Apart from this place there are no other bars, restaurants or shops.

Edited by Bilge

There's something wrong though - as I've never been in it and I've passed it hundreds of times and I've been in loads of horrible pubs too. Maybe the location is part of the problem - it's a very busy junction that usually you are just glad to have got past rather than trying to find somewhere to park nearby (yes I know there's a carpark).

It somehow doesn't look like it's a pub for a casual visit, more a hotel that doesn't really want non-residents. I don't think there are enough walk-up customers nearby so people have to drive, so it's mainly an eating place. I can't see many younger people making the effort to go there. In summer you don't see loads of punters outside with drinks.

The area is a bit dead too so it's not a destination in itself. Apart from this place there are no other bars, restaurants or shops.

Some good points. It can get busy in the Summer but usually if there`s a wedding or a bouncy castle!

The inside is nice enough too but maybe a bit dark `n` dingey?

I know a couple of folk who used to drink there regularly but stopped going after changes and inconsistencies of quality of products. One time I went, the ale was all over the place in terms of quality and I took most back and swapped in search of something `on form`. Could be good though.

I've been drinking all over the city but just never got around to going there - it's just stuck that bit too far out and in the middle of nowhere to be bothered getting the bus to - may as well get off in the Heeley / Abbeydale Road areas which have the good pubs and restaurants.

Whenever I have been it always feels like a soulless hotel bar.