MML electrification "paused"

Electrification is now "paused" for train services between London and Sheffield.

No date set for completion.

Patrick McLoughlin, Transport Secretary

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Are we really surprised?

Looking like the only big projects forthcoming to the MML are a rebuild of Derby and straightening out the kink in Market Harborough so that capacity can be increased by 1 train an hour.

The Transpennine electrification has also being 'paused'.

Quick! Use the money to build another train line in London before the dumb northerners notice!

Electrification is now "paused" for train services between London and Sheffield.

No date set for completion.

Patrick McLoughlin, Transport Secretary

Be honest, are you one bit surprised ?

British management seems useless , it seems to be one shambles after another, last week the banks this week the chairman of network rail sacked for incompetence. Time to get foreign management in and show them how to do the job properly like the bank of england have done.

According to the bbc news article they knew about this before the election but let the improvement works roll on until after it. I'm sure the passengers on the MML will appreciate the time they wasted on rail replacement bus services was well spent as we all worked towards a Tory majority government.

According to the bbc news article they knew about this before the election but let the improvement works roll on until after it. I'm sure the passengers on the MML will appreciate the time they wasted on rail replacement bus services was well spent as we all worked towards a Tory majority government.

I'm sure everyone is more than happy it's been allowed to get into such a sorry state in the first place by a number of previous governments.

"electrification of the Great Western Line is a top priority and I want Network Rail to concentrate its efforts on getting that right".

Great to see the commuters of Swindon, Bristol and Reading dont lose out :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They may need to build some more diesel trains then after all, if the electrification doesn't happen then the rolling stock cascade won't happen either...

According to the "brains" who are on top of this story, paused is Government speak for abandoned.

Why not "pause" the silly HS2 at a cost of 50 odd billion and update the existing

lines and rolling stock for the benefit of all, not spend zillions for the benefit of the few.

Angel1.

Looking like the only big projects forthcoming to the MML are a rebuild of Derby and straightening out the kink in Market Harborough so that capacity can be increased by 1 train an hour.

The Transpennine electrification has also being 'paused'.

This 'pause' was totally predictable before the election by anyone with an ear close to the track. The over running projects already known about in railway circles should have got to the ears of the opposition politicians. Osborne's great play with HS3 was a total non starter and should have been attacked as such. When the Labour canvasser knocked on my door I took him to task about it, but he hadn't a clue as to what was being planned for any railways, anywhere, despite it having been lead story on the news that day.

A pause to rejig the projects is clearly essential as the present plans are shot to ribbons. Now we need to mobilise forces to ensure the pause is only that, an opportunity to get it done right asap.