Weekend break away

Lincoln is a lovely retreat. There are some lovely shops, cafes and restaurants down there as well as the Cathedral and Castle.

Or, how about Chester. Lovely place by all accounts. I have been meaning to go for a while, but have never got around to it.

I would have suggested York, but I was kinda avoiding that and sticking to alternatives to the usual.

The Harrogate/Knaresborough area of North Yorkshire is nice too. There's a castle at the latter, with a museum in the grounds; Mother Shipton's Cave, complete with petrifying well, and some lovely walks along the River Nidd.

Not nearly as bustling as York/Lincoln etc but it depends what you're after.

You can't go wrong with Lincoln, York or Liverpool. Hotels will be very similar prices, its just the differing times/cost to travel there.

well everyone thanks for all your help, booked a great hotel in liverpool, so im sorted, hope he likes the effort!!!!! cheers to all

Good choice, we loved it when we went last year. Really impressed with the whole place.

Good website here http://www.visitliverpool.com/

If you are into museums, as well as the ones down by the docks don't forget the World museum, fantastic building and very interesting for all ages.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/site/world-museum-liverpool-p8573

Have a great weekend.