Acid attacks on the increase

I think it is somewhat of a deterrent to the vast majority of criminally inclined people.

Ridiculous idea.

I think it is somewhat of a deterrent to the vast majority of criminally inclined people.

not really.

if you are going to commit a crime you don't do it with the expectation of being caught and so the range of possible punishments is immaterial.

if it was a deterrent then states which killed people would have almost no capital crimes and that is obviously not the case

Why as its very clear that it is not a deterrent as if it was then no one would need to be hung.

If they hanged the last three people to be convicted of acid attacks tomorrow morning and showed it live on television, then I think that would be a deterrent.

This type of attack should carry a mandatory life sentence IMO.."

One teenager has been charged with 15 offences he should get a min. of 2 years for each offence,once you scared, your scared for life.

they were on motor scooters attacking rival gang members on scooters from what I've discerned.

you mean all the reported corrosive attacks are a rival scooter people? I think not, do you?

Danial Rotariu a guy who was attacked with acid and now blind and scarred,his attacker got life last year,this hasn't been a deterrent so stronger sentences doesn't work.

Danial Rotariu a guy who was attacked with acid and now blind and scarred,his attacker got life last year,this hasn't been a deterrent so stronger sentences doesn't work.

Up until recently I wasn't aware of the amount of acid attacks taking place in the UK. I knew about what happened to Katie Piper, who has been extremely brave publicising her attack. I thought this type of cowardly attack was very rare here and was more common in Asian countries.

Edited by Lord Rex
corrected the name

Up until recently I wasn't aware of the amount of acid attacks taking place in the UK. I knew about what happened to Katie Price, who has been extremely brave publicising her attack. I thought this type of cowardly attack was very rare here and was more common in Asian countries.

Jokingly that's too good for Katie Price but presume you mean Piper who has made a good life for herself after a horrific attack,not sure how much help she got off the media but I don't think everyone gets that much help.

I still stick by my way and say anyone evil enough to do this wants putting down as they don't deserve to be in our society.

Apologies the young lady who suffered the horrific life changing acid attack is Katie Piper. I have edited my earlier post.

Katie Piper is an inspiration, and I am sure we all agree that no one should have to suffer as she has. I hope the person that raped her and organised the acid attack on her is never released, but I understand that he will be.

A life sentence does seem fair, for such a life changing attack. It seems so cowardly - squirt from a distance and someone may lose their sight, or never close their eyes again, or never be able to eat again, and also lose what is usually seen as their attractiveness, although Katie Piper's beauty still shines through. it is a terrible crime that should attract maximum sentencing. However, I do agree that the drug industry is fueling much of the attacks and I would very happily legalese and tax the drugs that contribute to this problem

I've had a total change of heart on this one and having seen photos of peoples faces destroyed, I concur that the death penalty should be introduced. If a person can have such a disregard for life then it should follow that their own is equally insignificant.

Interestingly, in July of last year India did exactly this for acid attackers.

Edited by silentP

With modern technology and advancements in criminal investigation, then the chances of someone later being found innocent are practically zero.

If there was ever to be another referendum in this country, then it should be about re-introducing the death penalty.

Get down to the Crown Court old son, educate yourself as to the 'advancements in criminal investigation' (that is SYP to you) you won't of course have the benefit of knowing the quality of advice given by the employed prosecutors - mind you if the public knew how bad it was .......

Sit in on a murder trial, all of it, don't rely on the papers version and then you may well have a better informed view.

You are, I am sorry to say, just plain wrong.

If there are mistakes made, no coming back from those mistakes are there !