Drone over frecheville

You just read that you can fly it in most places so long as it's within your site and not over a congested area, a person, vessel, vehicle or structure.

I fly mine on Wadsley common sometimes.

I don't like the idea of a camera watching me while I am sunbathing in the garden.

The worry I had was if my quadcopter by some chance lost power for instance and caused damage/injury to something/someone as it plunged back to earth. There is no doubt in my mind that getting any kind of insurance would entail getting the CAA Pilots licence to fly the craft, and the £2k plus cost.

Angel1.

Guest makapaka

Imagine what the world will be like in 20 years.

Communicating with each other via video link whilst drones whizz above our heads - will be awful.

The worry I had was if my quadcopter by some chance lost power for instance and caused damage/injury to something/someone as it plunged back to earth. There is no doubt in my mind that getting any kind of insurance would entail getting the CAA Pilots licence to fly the craft, and the £2k plus cost.

Angel1.

Not really, public liability insurance is cheap.

Join a Radio Contolled Aircraft Flying club, they have reasonably priced annual membership which covers you for public liability when flying your drone and it is a great way to meet like minded fellow flyers.

FPVUK (http://www.fpvuk.org/) offer memberships for £15.80 per year and provides £5 million of cover, and the British Model Flying Association (https://bmfa.org/) memberships costs £33 per year and provides £25 million of cover.

you don't need a license at the moment I don't think

Not really, public liability insurance is cheap.

I have sold the quadcopter now, but thanks very much for the info. I should have looked into it I suppose.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 19:36 ----------

you don't need a license at the moment I don't think

You are correct. Into the nearest model shop, purchase, onto the nearest bit of open ground (if its farm land, with permission of course) and away you go.

Angel1.