Vermin control in garden

I recently saw rats in my garden. Has anybody any advice on the best way of getting rid of them?

They're probably just passing through, we get them from time to time. Is there anything there to attract them, compost heap, bird feed.

Our dogs are our best defence but I'm not overly concerned anyway.

get a tub of rat killer from d.i.y. stores, follow instructions.. worked for me, takes a week or two, but worked.

Guest makapaka

Get a cat.

Get a cat.

Be careful with this one. Our cats bring rats in and release them to play with.

I find an air rifle to be very effective. What is most important though is being fully compliant with the applicable legal requirements.

I find an air rifle to be very effective. What is most important though is being fully compliant with the applicable legal requirements.

Seconded.

I won't use poison as I have kids and a dog so when our row of houses had a rat problem I got my air rifle out, sat and waited for a bit and got rid of them that way.

It's not a nice thing to have to do but it's a quick death unlike poison which I understand is not quick and extremely painful.

Up until last year I kept 6 chickens (until my GSD ate 4 of them!) and the feed attracted mice and rats. I also found that the mice had migrated in to the garage.

I couldn't put poison down because of the dogs so resorted to my air rifle and took 4 mice and a rat.I locked the cat in the garage for a couple of nights and she accounted for the rest.

Not seen a one since.

I recently saw rats in my garden. Has anybody any advice on the best way of getting rid of them?

The council don't charge for dealing with rat problems at home.

The council don't charge for dealing with rat problems at home.

They do charge where we live S35, or they used to do. The pest (RAT) control officer was a mate of mine.

Angel1.