Rutland Arms, Brown St

In the late 70's I worked in town and the Rutland did fantastic Brisket sandwiches,

the landlady was a good cook. Friendly place but i am talking quite a few years ago.

Totally agree, but I have friends who aren't beardy hipsters, just normal folk who drink in Shakespeares, but who refuse to go in the Rutland until it's cleaned up. They love their beer and are happy to pay craft prices, but they just think its a bit of a cesspit...so refuse to go.

Me? I'm not as discerning.

Does that mean the Shakespeare's toilets don't stink all the way out in the main bar anymore? It's a genuine question, I haven't been for quite a while, the stink of pish rears its head whenever I think of going in there.

Edit: sorry, just read up the thread a bit. Good, time to give the Shakespeare another try.

I do like the Rutland though, especially on a Friday night when it gets proper busy, it feels how a 'public house' should feel to me.

Bottom line is that Shakies and now the Rutty have super keen folk running them who bend over backwards to source great beer. They know what good pubs should be like and I trust them to do their best to re-invest money in their pubs when they can. Good to hear about new loos at Shakies though they never bothered me too much tbh.

Hi, longtime lurker first time poster.

Firstly, I am not sure how a dog wandering round a pub somehow means it is struggling? I go in to the Rutland a lot and would say it has gotten busier

Welcome to the Forum. Which part of the US are you from?

---------- Post added 08-07-2017 at 09:24 ----------

Bottom line is that Shakies and now the Rutty have super keen folk running them who bend over backwards to source great beer. They know what good pubs should be like and I trust them to do their best to re-invest money in their pubs when they can. Good to hear about new loos at Shakies though they never bothered me too much tbh.

I know that Shakespeare's and The Rutland have real ales, but I've rarely been in. I maybe have visited Shakespeare's two or three times in the past few years and Rutland once. Reading this thread made me ask myself why I don't go in either very much? Because I love my real ale and I hear that both places are very good for it. But, it's about the overall experience as well and I can put up with a bit of a scruffy pub to an extent if the beer is exceptional, but only to an extent. After a while the surroundings start to get to me and I can't say I enjoy being inside either of those places - so I don't bother.

I know that Shakespeare's and The Rutland have real ales, but I've rarely been in. I maybe have visited Shakespeare's two or three times in the past few years and Rutland once. Reading this thread made me ask myself why I don't go in either very much? Because I love my real ale and I hear that both places are very good for it. But, it's about the overall experience as well and I can put up with a bit of a scruffy pub to an extent if the beer is exceptional, but only to an extent. After a while the surroundings start to get to me and I can't say I enjoy being inside either of those places - so I don't bother.

Can`t disagree with that. Agree that the `overall experience` is key. I have usually avoided the Ruttie as I don`t like the interior and the prvious staff were poor but I`m hopeful it`s on the up.

Welcome to the Forum. Which part of the US are you from?

---------- Post added 08-07-2017 at 09:24 ----------

Many thanks. None of them, apparently that is an Americanism that has slipped into my lexicon.

I worry that if there were a refurb of either pub it would end up like the Closed Shop, Washington, or Ship. The first was just about OK but the other two have lost character through insensitive refurbishment.

The Closed Shop has hardly changed in the last 25 years.

Many thanks. None of them, apparently that is an Americanism that has slipped into my lexicon.

Don't worry, that word is in the King James Bible and Shakespeare was using it a little earlier.

Edited by Jim Hardie
Facts checked

The Closed Shop has hardly changed in the last 25 years.

It had £250,000 spent on it four years ago (I'd post a link but I can't as my account is still under five posts). The refurb didn't change much in terms of layout but it made it a bit too shiny in a way that made it feel too much like a chain pub for me.

Don't worry, that word is in the King James Bible and Shakespeare was using it a little earlier.

Yeah it looks like an old English word. To be honest I think it looks and sounds better than 'has got' too. 'Gotten' is definitely more natural for me to say too, there must be a reason for that.

Edited by cometIa43
Added a reply to a reply

Ah ok! I once had one slip into my lexicon too, very painful it was, but I had it removed under local anaesthetic.

---------- Post added 10-07-2017 at 19:04 ----------

Verily! Methinks you have reasoning.

....?! (I`m not discerning either but I do think Ruttie needs a change).

You can but live in Hope.. theyve had the same carpets since the 50s..

Plus the upstairs is like a tardiss

...Plus the upstairs is like a tardiss

Surely that is a postive feature! :D