Maybots dream of a space programme.

Hard to imagine now, but after the war, Britain was the leading nation in the space race with much innovation, research and development going on, and with some of the best brains in the business.

I wonder where it all went wrong...?

Labour got in and wasted all the money on trivial stuff like social housing and the NHS.

I will say this for May space is the limit cost no problem along with the train set dream I thought the country was broke every penny counted.

But in the planned Queens Speech are plans for a space development an idea nicked off UKIP who wanted to mine space for a profit. Has May been watching too many Star Trek's it costs America millions of Dollars each year for its space programme which always comes under fire from the Republicans over the cost of it.

Let's see if this happens perhaps we will see where no Tory has gone before.

Here are a few commas [,,,,,,,] please use them.

Labour got in and wasted all the money on trivial stuff like social housing and the NHS.

I get your point, but how often have successive governments failed to capitalise on British inventions, discoveries and developments, which have then gone abroad and become huge money making successes for other countries?

The MARXISTS!!!!

Hard to imagine now, but after the war, Britain was the leading nation in the space race with much innovation, research and development going on, and with some of the best brains in the business.

I wonder where it all went wrong...?

The war is what went wrong sadly. Germany was doing rather well with their rocket technology. The US pilfered quite a few of their scientists after the war as part of Operation Paperclip.

---------- Post added 21-06-2017 at 14:16 ----------

I get your point, but how often have successive governments failed to capitalise on British inventions, discoveries and developments, which have then gone abroad and become huge money making successes for other countries?

I don't think NASA make money.

Well, the UK government let ARM get sold to the Japanese (Softbank) last year, who are now busy offloading much of it to the Saudis.

The graphene stuff all but went from the UK to the US, South Korea and China since around 2012. There's still the odd tidbit being worked upon at the University of Manchester, but it's blue sky stuff without any real commercial prospects yet. The US, Koreans and Chinese will be making billions from it long before the UK sees a homegrown penny.

They're the latest examples, there's umpteen more.

Aside from the armaments sphere (but that's not exclusive to the UK: every government the world over looks after its domestic armaments industry), the UK government has long been demonstrably incapable of putting into practice any sort of self-preserving intervention for husbanding strategic economic advantages. It's just not the way the liberal UK works, see.

See my post #11 Anna

Well, the UK government let ARM get sold to the Japanese (Softbank) last year, who are now busy offloading much of it to the Saudis.

The graphene stuff all but went from the UK to the US, South Korea and China since around 2012. There's still the odd tidbit being worked upon at the University of Manchester, but it's blue sky stuff without any real commercial prospects yet. The US, Koreans and Chinese will be making billions from it long before the UK sees a homegrown penny.

They're the latest examples, there's umpteen more.

Aside from the armaments sphere (but that's not exclusive to the UK: every government the world over looks after its domestic armaments industry), the UK government has long been demonstrably incapable of putting into practice any sort of self-preserving intervention for husbanding strategic economic advantages. It's just not the way the liberal UK works, see.

Most countries don't have an arms industry beyond perhaps small arms. Five countries (I'm sure you can guess which) make up about three quarters of all arms exports and the majority of countries import major arms (artillery, tanks, planes, ships)

Most countries don't have an arms industry beyond perhaps small arms. Five countries (I'm sure you can guess which) make up about three quarters of all arms exports and the majority of countries import major arms (artillery, tanks, planes, ships)
"the majority of" is a very relative expression: many countries 'buy' weapons from the five (-and more) as licensing rights to manufacture (so many-) copies domestically, which allows them to (security-) control all aspects of production and to make their own further developments. It's far from 'just' small arms, we're talking all sorts of wheeled and tracked vehicles (armour, missile carriers, APCs <etc.>), planes, helicopters...all sorts.

Example in point (a highly visible one known to most I'd think, which is why I picked it, but not the only one by far) Israel, which has tweaked and "improved" the US-made F15 and F16 jet platforms independently of the US, to the extent that the US has then bought or cross-licensed these improvements 'back in'.

Doesn't matter if the government is the US' or Switzerland's: anything new that has a military applicability (and in this day and age, it's not limited to hardware painted green, by very far) gets screened before it goes public or leaves the country. That's how and why e.g. you will find an equivalent to section 22 of the UK Patent Act mirrored in the domestic patent law of any country around the globe that has one ;)

I've heard, we're going to send Liam Fox to do a free trade deal with Mondas.

Free upgrades for you all.......

Resistance will be futile