Ernie Wise Lodge Moor Petrol Station

Is this resolved?

Just curious whether it's an urban myth.

Is this resolved?

Just curious whether it's an urban myth.

It's hardly the stuff of urban myths but there's a link in Post #2 that would appear to confirm the story.

The story is definitely true. I haven't managed to get up to The Plough yet but I have spoken to two witnesses who were there at the time. The first lady, now approaching her eightieth birthday was in her teens in 1953 and she is related to the owners of Sandygate Service Station. She remembers Ernie and Doreen Wise parking their converted bus in the field behind the service station along with other details.

The other witness often used to catch the same bus from the city centre as Ernie Wise. He remembered that it was quite a severe winter at Sandygate and at its worst point the camping bus had a drift of snow 6 feet deep piled on one side but next to no snow on the other, which fortunately, was the side with the door.

Both had fascinating stories to tell in their own right and I am very grateful to both of them for relating them to me.

I am still on the hunt for a photograph (any photograph!) of Sandygate Station, The Plough or surrounding area in the early fifties so if anyone can point me in the direction of one I'll be eternally thankful.

Dave Barkers Dad ran the Sandygate Filling Station but he's probably not on this forum. The family moved to North Wales - I think.

Sandygate Dave wishes to talk with MikeG

---------- Post added 09-05-2017 at 09:38 ----------

The story is definitely true. I haven't managed to get up to The Plough yet but I have spoken to two witnesses who were there at the time. The first lady, now approaching her eightieth birthday was in her teens in 1953 and she is related to the owners of Sandygate Service Station. She remembers Ernie and Doreen Wise parking their converted bus in the field behind the service station along with other details.

The other witness often used to catch the same bus from the city centre as Ernie Wise. He remembered that it was quite a severe winter at Sandygate and at its worst point the camping bus had a drift of snow 6 feet deep piled on one side but next to no snow on the other, which fortunately, was the side with the door.

Both had fascinating stories to tell in their own right and I am very grateful to both of them for relating them to me.

I am still on the hunt for a photograph (any photograph!) of Sandygate Station, The Plough or surrounding area in the early fifties so if anyone can point me in the direction of one I'll be eternally thankful.

I have lots of photos of drifted snow at Sandygate. Don't think I have the caravan though.

The Plough is closed at present.

Thank you.

I found out about The Plough after I eventually got up there yesterday!

If you have any photographs of the area immediately surrounding the Service Station I would be interested in seeing them. Of particular interest is the field behind the station which was visible from the path that used to run down the right hand side (from the road).

Thank you.

I found out about The Plough after I eventually got up there yesterday!

If you have any photographs of the area immediately surrounding the Service Station I would be interested in seeing them. Of particular interest is the field behind the station which was visible from the path that used to run down the right hand side (from the road).

Interesting story this but someone mentioned it being well out of the way at Redmires in December which I agree as the weather difference between Redmires and Sandygate would have been quite different in snow.

I take it he had to commute to Sheffield from wherever he parked his bus (someone mentioned public transport) which I doubt Redmires would have had any in 1953 but saying that the hospital was there so maybe he got the bus from there.

Rather strange but interesting story

Interesting story this but someone mentioned it being well out of the way at Redmires in December which I agree as the weather difference between Redmires and Sandygate would have been quite different in snow.

I take it he had to commute to Sheffield from wherever he parked his bus (someone mentioned public transport) which I doubt Redmires would have had any in 1953 but saying that the hospital was there so maybe he got the bus from there.

Rather strange but interesting story

There are two written accounts by Ernie and Doreen Wise and I've now spoken to three people, all unrelated and now in their late seventies or early eighties, who confirm the core events.

The bus was parked in the field directly behind the Sandygate Service Station workshop/showroom. That winter there was snow at Sandygate with snow drifting up to several feet deep in places. Ernie Wise and Eric Morecambe did catch the Lodge Moor bus up and down to the city centre, certainly on occasion if not every day.

At the end of the pantomime run Ernie sold the bus and it was left there for a short while afterwards and he bought a Triumph Renown from the Service Station owner for £650 or £750 depending on which account you read.

It is a strange little story and one of a number I've been looking into recently for a project.

Thank you for your interest.

There are two written accounts by Ernie and Doreen Wise and I've now spoken to three people, all unrelated and now in their late seventies or early eighties, who confirm the core events.

The bus was parked in the field directly behind the Sandygate Service Station workshop/showroom. That winter there was snow at Sandygate with snow drifting up to several feet deep in places. Ernie Wise and Eric Morecambe did catch the Lodge Moor bus up and down to the city centre, certainly on occasion if not every day.

At the end of the pantomime run Ernie sold the bus and it was left there for a short while afterwards and he bought a Triumph Renown from the Service Station owner for £650 or £750 depending on which account you read.

It is a strange little story and one of a number I've been looking into recently for a project.

Thank you for your interest.

I have thousands of photographs, it will take some time to look for ones of the garage.

How do you want to use them?

They would be used as reference for an art project I'm involved in. So I would basically be looking at them to work out what the site was like.

For the Ernie Wise part we have collected a number of written and verbal accounts, a picture of the bus in Peterborough before it was owned by Ernie Wise, Ordnance Survey maps of the Sandygate area showing the Service Station and surrounding buildings and by this weekend I hope to have an aerial photograph taken in 1951.

Although I very much appreciate your offer of help, I don't want to set you off on a massive task looking through thousands of photographs for very little reward. I know what it is like searching through large quantities of photographs!

They would be used as reference for an art project I'm involved in. So I would basically be looking at them to work out what the site was like.

For the Ernie Wise part we have collected a number of written and verbal accounts, a picture of the bus in Peterborough before it was owned by Ernie Wise, Ordnance Survey maps of the Sandygate area showing the Service Station and surrounding buildings and by this weekend I hope to have an aerial photograph taken in 1951.

Although I very much appreciate your offer of help, I don't want to set you off on a massive task looking through thousands of photographs for very little reward. I know what it is like searching through large quantities of photographs!

I have found a few of the garage area. what next?

Hi sandygatebar & Person6 - As Eric Morecambe would say 'ger out athat yo can't canya - fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood

I have found a few of the garage area. what next?

I'll PM you my phone number.

I've sent it but I'm using my iphone and it is none too clear whether the message has been sent, so you'll have no messages or ten identical messages.

If you don't receive a message let me know on here and I'll send again on another device.

Edited by Person6