Advice on a snappy shihtzu please

One of my 4 dogs started to nip as he got to a year or so old, He did it a couple of times and i was affraid it might get worse but i try hard to distract him from any exitement of people coming or going (and stiil have a baby gate just to be sure) and although 4 years on he has never done it again i still keep a good eye on him when he gets exited. I must add he is a very sweet natured quit dog most of the time and after the initial exitment calms down. Don't loose hope too soon.

Sounds to me like the dog just needs a good behaviour therapist not PTS!!!!

It's small dog syndrome.. He's obviously been allowed to act a certain way (not neccessarily you btw) and he's showing his dominance..

My parents had an aggressive dog, tiny little thing but had a massive attitude! Took a few years to sort him out but they got there in the end and he became a lovely little dog.. The last thing you want to do is PTS a dog that is otherwise healthy but has the occassional snap! Give therapy a go, hopefully it will work and if not then i'm sure there are people out there more experienced than you who will give the little chap a chance..

Also, it would help if your daughter was taught some tips in dominance. The dog needs to be at the bottom of the chain in the household.. Maybe getting your daughter and the dog to a behaviour therapist together would benefit you all.. And i know you say your daughter hasnt done anything to warrant the aggression but she actually has! (obviously unaware of course) but everytime she ignores him and avoids him she is actually triggering something off inside the dogs head that makes her seem like 'prey'.. She needs to be confident around him and show him her dominance.. Dogs need leadership, even from children otherwise they will try to be the leader and unlike humans, dogs use their teeth!!

Good luck with him :)

Was just thinking about this dog and wondering how things are going muckynees?

I've just read this thread and I had a completely different reaction/ reading of the situation. What if the dog's behaviour isn't about aggression - I mean I know it is agressive in human terms as he is biting. But in the dog's mind (and that's where you need to get) why is he biting people when they go? Maybe it is because he doesn't want them to go? People turn their back on him (literally) and seem to ignore him so he gets their attention by biting. I totally agree with the people who have said to get an animal behaviourist in who will be able to work with you all on what is going on. I'm sure that it will be possible to put in place a safe routine for him for when people are leaving the house or walking away. having him put to sleep should be the absolute last resort when there is no other option as all - but that's my opinion.

good luck!

Sounds to me like the dog just needs a good behaviour therapist not PTS!!!!

It's small dog syndrome.. He's obviously been allowed to act a certain way (not neccessarily you btw) and he's showing his dominance..

This, the dogs needs a good session with a trainer or behavioural therapist.

If it's trying to assert dominance it needs to be put in it's place and properly taught it's place in your family.

It should always be:

You

Children

Alpha dog

The others

Don't ever let a dog try and assert dominance over your children.

I take it you've already had him neutered??