Late 50s Grammar Schools

Who can remember the list of available Sheffield Grammar schools in or around 1956?? Unfortunately I was not one of the successful entrants but life has turned out pretty good in the "big picture". Thank you in advance for any help offered - from an ex Arbourthorner here Toronto.

Just a start ------maybe there's some others to add on :--

Abbeydale Boys Grammar , Abbeydale Girls Grammar [ may have been called Abbeydale Grange ? ] , Nether Edge Grammar , closed 1958 [ became the new Abbeydale Boys Grammar ; High Storrs----Girls and Boys Grammar ; King Edward V11 ; City Grammar school ; Firth Park Grammar [ Mixed ? ]

Now a bit of memory lapse ------I think there was a sort of Grammar school at Hinde House Lane and another one near Middlewood hospital.

The big one in the private sector was the Girls High school , near Clarkehouse Road . There were a couple of Catholic Grammar schools , I think , for girls and boys , both called Notre Dame .

There was also the City Technical school in town , near Leopold Street .

Apologies , in advance , for any missing from the list ; not nice to have your old school missed out !

It was the Central Technical School. There was also Rowlinson which was of technical bent and the boys' catholic grammar school was De La Salle on Scott Road. Chaucer was also an eleven-plus school and Grange Grammar School for Girls. Then there was Ecclesfield Grammar School which came within the Sheffield boundary.

I seem to recall a Greystones grammer near Ringinglow road, long time ago

could be wrong,memory banks failing.

I seem to recall a Greystones Grammar near Ringinglow Road, long time ago

could be wrong,memory banks failing.

I'd been mulling over that but couldn't be more specific. I remember a navy uniform with a plain yellow bird on the crest. I fancy it might have been on Greystones Road but you might have opened the discussion here?

There was also Marlcliff. I think that it might have been a girls school. My sister went there.

Don't forget Woodhouse Grammar School, which was a mixed school at, er, Woodhouse!

The three grammar schools at Abbeydale were 'in a line' with parts of their playing fields having shared boundaries- Abbeydale Boys Grammar School then Abbeydal Grange,this was a separate school to Abbeydale Girls Grammar School which was the closest to the town. Abbeydale Grange had a brwon uniform and was housed in an old house, where as Abbeydale Girls Grammar School had a blue uniform and had a more 'modern' building. The headmistress's (Dr FM Green) memorable statement was her reference to 'our neighbours over the wall' when referring to the members of Abbeydale Boys School. Being seen with a member of the boy's school whilst wearing school uniform was punishable by detention, even if seen in town, !

The headmistress, I believe, of Abbeydale Grange G.S. was Miss H.M.Rawlings who moved with it, under a different guise, to King Ecgbert School at Totley.

I don't live in Sheffield any longer and just as a matter of interest , what has become of the Abbeydale Grange and Abbeydale Girls Grammar School buildings ?

I know the old Nether Edge Grammar School , after a few changes over the years , is now , I think , a block of flats . Whenever I've passed by the Abbeydale complex , I 've never been able to see over the wall !

I don't live in Sheffield any longer and just as a matter of interest , what has become of the Abbeydale Grange and Abbeydale Girls Grammar School buildings ?

I know the old Nether Edge Grammar School , after a few changes over the years , is now , I think , a block of flats . Whenever I've passed by the Abbeydale complex , I 've never been able to see over the wall !

I was a scholarship girl at Grange Grammar School for girls. It didn't change to A G till a long time after I left in 57. Miss Reid was the head mistress and the french teacher was Miss Rigby and she was horrible. I'm in my 60s now but will never forgive the way she treated me for coming from the wrong side of the tracks and being clever. (came from Pipworth rd school)

Greystones was not a Grammar school but an Intermediate,you still had to pass the 11+ to get in.I did and thought it sounded very romantic, when I got there it was a stone victorian school like Burgoyne Rd Walkley which I'd just left.

The bird mentioned in the link was called a Martlet as was the school magazine.We had a school motto "Labore Vingam" to work is to succeed.It was a very strict regime with the 1or 2 teachers that terrified everyone bu t overall they were good times.

The school closed when I was in the 3rd year 1956 with the boys joining the boys at Rowlinson and the girls from this school and Greystones girls going to the brand new King Ecgberts.

We had to swap our navy knickers for maroon ones to match the new uniform,ahh Happy Days!!!