Smithywood coking plant

does anyone still possess pictures or video of smithywood coking plant.

i know that a video was made of the last oven to be pushed but i dont know what became of it.

i worked as a trainee and then powerhouse attendant from 1975 -1978.

my dad brian (honeymonster) was there before me and was the last to leave as he worked on the screens and became security guard after the plant closed.

pm or text me. we both still have a lot of memories.

shane 0777 5533 578

I did put a link to some Video here on the forum One of the mates has got a few pics when part of the demolision happened,but he missed the chimneys coming down,

JJ..

I have heard the term 'pushing an oven' what exactly was it?

I have heard the term 'pushing an oven' what exactly was it?

the raw coal is put into the top of the oven where it is heated up in the absence of air, (around 13 - 15 hours) this drives off the gasses and volatiles (tar, benzene, sulphur etc) and turns the coal into coke. in order to get the coke out of the oven it is pushed out from one end by a huge hydraulic ram, being collected at the other end by a coke wagon where it is then taken to be quenched with water. hence the term "pushing an oven"

i believe there is still a coking plant out barnsley way where this can be observed from a nearby road. been a few years since i went there to reminisce, might go again soon.

I did put a link to some Video here on the forum One of the mates has got a few pics when part of the demolision happened,but he missed the chimneys coming down,

JJ..

the link is good and shows the demolition of the plant. there are also links to other coking plants.

would like to see video of the plant in action if anyone has any. i understand the video of the last oven to be pushed was in the possesion of mr henshaw who i think was assistant manager.

Thanks for explaining pushing an oven.

I remember the distinct smell if the wind was blowing your way and the bleeder flame, coming up the m1 you knew you were nearly home when you spotted it.

Right then Mucky murphy first of all the pusher at Smithywood was'nt a huge hydraulic ram it was a rack and pinion set up and Trevor henshaw was an apprentice loathing personnel manager not assistant manager, i was an apprentice fitter here and did a year out of my time before it closed always a great set o lads more a family than owt else i'd go back tomorrow- good old days eh!!.

My late Father, Frank, worked there from it being built to his retirement in 1979. I took him to watch the chimneys being demolished.

I was an apprentice Electrician here, then did about 5 years as a qualified sparky. Good times. I live over in Barnsley so very rarely see anyone who worked there.

I used to load crude benzole out of Smithywood Coking Plant in the early 70s when I worked on A E Evans tankers,Sheffield. The benzole went to Staveley Chemicals and the tar to the Avenue Plant at Wingerworth. I believe that the Monckton Coke and Chemical Plant at Royston is still operating,owned by the Hargreaves Group.

Chris.

One of the chimneys had Izal in white letters on it. Some people also called the plant Duckhams. As mentioned in my 2011 post above the most remembered thing for those that lived in Ecclesfield was the strange smell when the wind blowed from that direction. What was it that caused that smell?