Longley park open air baths!!

Anyone out there remember going here? I would have been going there between the years 1978 - 1985. I remember Geoff(Didn't know his surname), but he was a life gaurd there and he smoked those long brown cigarettes, More menthol i think they were called. We used to jump over the fences at night and go for midnight swims....can anyone remember this? My memory is terrible, so i can only remember a few of us, but there were loads of us that used to go there and either sitin the shed nr the bowling greens or go swimming. We used to have a right laugh!!!! Come on, share your memorys of Longley Open Air Baths...who do you remember?

Anyone out there remember going here? I would have been going there between the years 1978 - 1985. I remember Geoff(Didn't know his surname), but he was a life gaurd there and he smoked those long brown cigarettes, More menthol i think they were called. We used to jump over the fences at night and go for midnight swims....can anyone remember this? My memory is terrible, so i can only remember a few of us, but there were loads of us that used to go there and either sitin the shed nr the bowling greens or go swimming. We used to have a right laugh!!!! Come on, share your memorys of Longley Open Air Baths...who do you remember?

There was another thread on this with photos.See..

Can anyone remember longley baths and how much fun it was.:hihi: My god it was cold, but there i was every 6 week hol`s in the 80`s. I`ve looked all over for pics but unfortunately i can not find any anywhere on the net:sad: Does anyone know where i can find any pics so i can show my daughter

I only came to Sheffield in 1992 so don't remember the open air baths....however one warm spring day about 1994 I fancied an open air swim but couldn't locate an open air pool in Sheffield (shame). Was told there was one in Matlock (Matlock Lido). So on my motorbike over to Matlock to find it hadn't been a lido for 20 something years. Nearest one they said was Alfreton....in for a penny.....so off I rode. The pool was there but no one in it, they found a member of staff so I could have a swim, the air was cool, the water was heated, I had the best swim I have ever had and it was well worth the 50 mile round trip.

Bring back an open air swimming pool to Sheffield. :bigsmile:

There used to be the Lido in Millhouses Park years ago, till the local chavs decided to vandalise it! :rant:

That was good, and of course the paddling pools.

The paddling pools at Rivelin are still open though iirc.

We used to jump over the fences at night and go for midnight swims....can anyone remember this? My memory is terrible, so i can only remember a few of us, but there were loads of us that used to go there and either sitin the shed nr the bowling greens or go swimming. We used to have a right laugh!!!! Come on, share your memorys of Longley Open Air Baths...who do you remember?

I remember jumping the wall late at night and jumping straight in the pool in my 80's denim dungarees! :o Heavy heavy wet clothes for the walk home. Summers were great though, all day sat by the pool in a cossie.

There used to be the Lido in Millhouses Park years ago, till the local chavs decided to vandalise it! :rant:

I think the vandalism was done long before chavs existed Rich.

Yeah vandalism by the Council they demolished it!

It would be great to have one again I spent many a summer at Millhouses Lido never went to the Longley one.

It would be great now we have global warming!

my mum and dads Mini with my talking commander action man got park in there while it was full of water.

It was stolen and put through as a bit of fun :rant:

my dad used to go there as he only lived across road from it:)

I remember going to Longley open air baths. We used to go after schoolin the summer it always seemed to be open till late. Water was always cold and I last went in about 1979. Bring it back.

In the years just after the war , me and my mates virtually lived in the swimming pool during the summer months. It's true it always felt freezing when you first jumped in after that it felt OK.