When Did Granville College Open?

Can anyone tell me when Granville College Opened? First of all and then both sides of the road if possible!

The north side (left hand side facing up Granville Road) opened first, then south side. They were certainly open by the mid sixties, I remember going past as a small child and asking my mother what the building was.

Thanks for that - elsewhere someone refers to being there in 1961 - I suspect it may have been a year or two earlier.

folkidave.

I bought my first motorbike in november 58 and drove to granville colledge st tho old age of 16.

Thanks for that. Dod you know if it had been open long at that point-or was it new then?

The north side (left hand side facing up Granville Road) opened first, then south side. They were certainly open by the mid sixties, I remember going past as a small child and asking my mother what the building was.

Not sure when it actually opened but I went there in 1960 whilst apprenticed at E S C. Geoff Stringfellow was also there in the same class.After two years we moved to Pond St

The college's Facebook page has an image (you'll need a Facebook account to see it, I think. ETA: it's public, so no account needed.) of a leaflet which states that the original college buildings were opened in 1960, and the south-side buildings followed in 1973.

The page itself states that the dates were respectively 1961 and 1974, so a bit of confusion there.

Edited by Guest

Building on the north side began in 1958 and was completed in 1961. The south side (previously) was completed in 1973.

Thanks - I am going to take the 1958/1960/1973 dates as definitive. The reason there is a difference in the opening dates could refer to a "begins work" date and an "officially opened" date.

That's near enough for what I want and thanks everyone!

I went to Granville College from 1961 to 1965

Hello everybody - five years late to respond to this topic, but I can tell you that Granville College of Further Education was built by BAM Construct UK (which was then called Higgs and Hill) which won the contract in 1957 and it would have taken a year or so to build, so 1958 is definitely a likely opening date, and in all probability, September that year for the start of term. You'll find the green and orange of BAM around Sheffield a lot these days too for both of the City's universities among others.

On 23/04/2015 at 23:30, beezerboy said:

Not sure when it actually opened but I went there in 1960 whilst apprenticed at E S C. Geoff Stringfellow was also there in the same class.After two years we moved to Pond St

Yes, Geoff Stringfellow worked. At ESC Brightside after leaving Burngreave school, his dad Jim worked there also.