Crookes History

you have o remember that years ago Sheffield was not the big city it is now Sheffield was made up of hundreds of villages like crooks, Attercliffe, broomhall handsworth, Norton, some of these villages were more like hamlets of just a few houses, Sheffield as most people know was made up of small forges and mills list goes on

I remember Big Joe's fish & chip shop(just) at the bottom of Loxley View Rd.

That would be Rippons. Chippy in the front with the café in back.

---------- Post added 17-07-2014 at 09:20 ----------

only just in Crookes I think, but anyone remember Deakins chippy on heavygate road. The longest time ever waitedto buy fish and chips. Also anyone remember chadd upholstery and the tiny fruit and veg shop on Heavygate road just past the top of highton street. There was also an off license at the top of greenhowe street (Buckmasters had it i think). I lived on heavygate estate from 1965 to 1981.

I lived on Moorsyde Crescent till 1968

I lived on heavygate road we owned the grocery shop 176. Vivienne patton.my neighbour was Barbara Harrison and my best friend lived on matlock road maureen brpowm

I lived on heavygate road we owned the grocery shop 176. Vivienne patton.my neighbour was Barbara Harrison and my best friend lived on matlock road maureen brpowm

When did you live there ?

Edited by USUK

We lived on heavy gate road from 1960 to 1966. We owned the newsagents at the bottom of Bradley Street. In that block of houses between bottom of Bradley street and top of Matlock Road there was our shop, a hairdressers,a chip shop, a bakers and an electrical repair shop and across the road from us a grocers.

We lived on heavy gate road from 1960 to 1966. We owned the newsagents at the bottom of Bradley Street. In that block of houses between bottom of Bradley street and top of Matlock Road there was our shop, a hairdressers,a chip shop, a bakers and an electrical repair shop and across the road from us a grocers.

One of my school pals Mom owned the paper shop just before you. Spent many an hour playing in the Attic. Another pal was at the Wallpaper shop across the road at the bottom of Bradley Street. I used to deliver shoes for the Cobler at the bottom of Aldred Road, (Mr Widdowson). I can picture the strange little man who owned the radio repair shop but cant remember his name. The Chippy used to be good till it changed hands sometime mid 60's then became the worst in Sheffield. The waste land next to the paper shop was the site for the Annual Bonfire. I remember someone setting it off early one year.

The man who owned the radio shop was called Ronnie Watson . I remember the attic , me and my siblings spent many an hour up there on the rocking horse. Also remember the bonfires on the waste land and the dens we used to build. I had forgotten the wallpaper shop at bottom of Bradley Street but remember the sweet shop at the bottom of Slinn Street.

I lived there from 1950 1964 I remember Mr Watson radio shop then there was a house where the harrisons lived then our shop patton then the fish shop Mr ward. Then a house fillowed by newsagent and hat dressers. We called the waste ground the hill. Our back gardens ran from the steps at top of ma

tlock street. We used to get in trouble for sledging in the winter. Long time ago those were the days eh

I lived there from 1950 1964 I remember Mr Watson radio shop then there was a house where the harrisons lived then our shop patton then the fish shop Mr ward. Then a house fillowed by newsagent and hat dressers. We called the waste ground the hill. Our back gardens ran from the steps at top of ma

tlock street. We used to get in trouble for sledging in the winter. Long time ago those were the days eh

You must remember the Thwaites who owned the paper shop and Lee's at the Wall paper Shop then. Across the street from you there was a big house where a boy and a girl lived, Boyd or something like that. Strange place with a big gate that was never open.

My parents bought the newsagents off the Thwaites. They sold it in 1966 to I think an ex Owls footballer. We used to throw snowballs from the back gardens at anybody who happened to be walking up Matlock Road. Also there was an air raid shelter in the garden of the chip shop which we used as a den. Happy days.

That air raid shelter was at the bottom of my garden I used to keep my rabbits in it. My parents closed the shop in the 60's and turned it into living accommodation before they moved to a bungalow in about 69/70 by then I was married and long goone to

Live in Nigeria where I was a scientjist I returned in 1990. That house was where the oakleys lived the parents were deaf there were quite a few children one Trevor Oakley got in touch with me

Last year.

I remember Victor and Trevor Oakley. They or their dad used to make these miniature steam engines that used to actually work and it was a real treat to be able to go round to their back yard and watch them. Can also remember the back to back houses next to the Heavygate Inn at the top of Matlock road that were demolished to provide a pub car park. Some one there quite often used to lock himself out and would give one of us half a crown to go down the cellar grate and open the door for him.