Memories of The Grosvenor

Built for the 66 world cup.

Or was that the Hallam Towers ? the Switzerland national team were based there.

I worked on it, used to roar down Cambridge Street on my Ariel Arrow followed by blue smoke:hihi:

It was a very posh hotel when it opened.

I do have very fond memories of the Grosvenor House Hotel as I met I wife there on February 17th. 1981.

Back in the early 70s I worked for Abbey Glen laundry we used to deliver to the Grovner on one occasion we collected a suit that needed cleaning it belonged to David Jones (David Bowie) who was staying there.

I used to go in the Gold room/bar in the Grosvenor around 67/68. The barman was called Ken cannot remember his surname but he knew his job. I knocked around with Mick, Max, Lance Edwards, Chris Hardy, and Tiger (Tony ) Thorpe and a few more but to many to mention. We would meet in the Gold bar and then onto the penny farthing and when that closed we would then go to the Craywood on Queens Road. We were the weekend millionaires.But we had a good time back then. alan p.

Edited by alan p

I am surprised that no one has put forward the proposal of using the Grosvenor for the homeless. There are 102 en suite rooms in one building. It's designed for accommodating people. If it's going to be pulled down then no one should be too concerned about any damaged that may happen.

I am surprised that no one has put forward the proposal of using the Grosvenor for the homeless. There are 102 en suite rooms in one building. It's designed for accommodating people. If it's going to be pulled down then no one should be too concerned about any damaged that may happen.

What a fantastic idea, if all the charities got together with the council maybe something could be done, still I reckon Scottish Widows and investors into the new retail scheme wouldn't be so enthusiastic.

Not been down Charter Square for a while I'm just wondering how far the demolition has gone if any on the derelict Grosvenor Hotel. I remember the hotel been open, closed around 2009. I think it was built in 1966 the same year as the Hallam Tower Hotel opened what do you recall of the Grosvenor Hotel did you work their , stayed for a break and what was your impression of the hotel or attended an function ?

Edited by crookedspire

Spent our wedding night at the Grosvenor Hotel ( Boxing Day 1974 ) it was a lovely place then. Remember there was a bomb scare that night.

I am surprised that no one has put forward the proposal of using the Grosvenor for the homeless. There are 102 en suite rooms in one building.

Probably because there aren't as many as 102 homeless people in Sheffield? Most of the 'homeless' who beg in the streets go home when they've got £100 or so. It doesn't take them long to get this amount on a Friday/Saturday night. And quite a few of them share the sympathy dog by passing it around to each other. The dogs are great sympathy tools for them. I know this because I talk to them most days, and I've even visited them at their homes from time to time due to my job.

Edited by WarPig