Ecclesfield 'village'

..re Post 1103 ....the Chemists Son ....if it was Nicholsons Chemist ( junction of St Mary's / Yew Lane ) ..they had a Son called Garth .( i remember him well )

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what was here before the property I live I was built. It's a small bungalow between the black bull and the old post office on St Mary's Lane. Also if anybody knows what the tunnel down our garden banking is? Thanks in advance.

Try airing your query on the Ecclesfield & Chapeltown in recent times page on Facebook.

As far as I can remember, there was nothing there before your home was built. only rough land which sloped down to the stream. I am referring to the early 1960's. I worked at the Post Office next door and more or less saw the bungalow being erected. I seem to remember it was built on a concrete raft. I think. Before that, we used to put the empty cardboard boxes from the Post Office over the boundary wall onto that land and burn them. Could the tunnel have something to do with the stream that goes under the road and planting, and appears at the bottom of the Ladycroft? At one time in the distant past, Saint Mary's Lane was so deep, its surface had to be raised to enable the 'new' motorised vehicles to use it. And of course this helped the poor old horses, faced with pulling a cart up the hill. Look how far below the road surface the Black Bull car park is. I hope this helps, if only in a small way.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

That's great Nigel, thank you for taking the time out to reply. It makes a lot of sense. We have been digging the garden to put up a fence and it's concrete under a couple of inches of soil so that explains why. As for the tunnel and the stream, I went and had a look at the other side of ladycroft and you're totally right. Thanks again for your help.

Hello hutch. Yes, I would think you are right. When I was in Ecclesfield Junior School, I was in class with a girl called Susan Stonebanks. Her parents had the shop at the beginning of Colley Road, facing down High Greave, which was a greengrocer's and general store. Maybe Mrs Whitham had that shop, as I only remember that one and the Co-Op at the other side of the road (now Park Dental Care). I remember the chip shop too. Later it became a ladies hairdresser's. A Mrs Whitham had a lock up shed in Ecclesfield Park in the 1950's. From it she sold soft drinks and snacks (sweets and crisps also). She had three sons, and they and our 'gang' used to go on the swings and in the paddling pool in Ecc park. I think it could be the same family. You have also brought back memories of that crash on High Greave. I remember it, as one of the men killed was my late Dad's workmate at Smithywood Coking Plant. His name (I think) was Hansel Hawkins. Wasn't it an icy Winter evening? Thanks for jogging my memory.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 20:50 ----------

hi i am mrs whithams youngest son i went to ecclesfield town junior my best mate was dave juett both my brothers are still living my grandma lived in high greave the two old cottages now demolished they were good old days down jn the park

Posh end of the village was Hillside.Do you remember Cliff Hodgekinson and another pal of mine,Mick Owen, from Martin Crec Both will be 67 now.

How long have you been retired?

1998 aged 57 now living in Newark moved 2014. Some family down here.

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 21:30 ----------

Edited by hutch
Adding info.

Guest makapaka

Does anyone remember a chip shop run by a mr and mrs Hague? Think the mr was called Percy?

Does anyone remember a chip shop run by a mr and mrs Hague? Think the mr was called Percy?

I remember it. It was 325 The Common, opposite The Travellers Rest.

Guest makapaka
I remember it. It was 325 The Common, opposite The Travellers Rest.

That sounds right. What were the chips like! Do you have any recollection of them or the people?

Funnily enough there was a Mr and Mrs Hague that owned a chip shop on Rushby St they had a daughter Pearl as I recall, admitted this was in the Pitsmoor district, I wonder if there is a connection here, like belonging to the same family? fleetwood

Guest makapaka
Funnily enough there was a Mr and Mrs Hague that owned a chip shop on Rushby St they had a daughter Pearl as I recall, admitted this was in the Pitsmoor district, I wonder if there is a connection here, like belonging to the same family? fleetwood

No there's no connection there.