Sign in to follow this  

R.I.P Peter Blatty

R.I.P Peter Blatty

We’re sorry to report that author and screenwriter William Peter Blatty passed away on January 12, 2017, just five days after his 89th birthday. He was an author, best known for writing The Exorcist novel and screenplay.

Blatty was born January 7, 1928, to Mary and Peter Blatty. His parents were Lebanese immigrants who came to America on a cattle boat. His father left when he was a child, and through the course of his childhood Blatty, his siblings, and mother lived in nearly thirty different apartments because they would get evicted for not paying the rent. His mother supported them as best she could by selling homemade quince jellies. She was a devout Catholic and raised Blatty in the religion.

Blatty’s death was announced online on January 13 via Twitter by The Exorcist director William Friedkin, with the following message:

William Peter Blatty, dear friend and brother who created The Exorcist passed away yesterday

— William Friedkin (@WilliamFriedkin) January 13, 2017

This has been doing the rounds again:

When I worked at BMP, the Head of Television commuted in from Brighton every day.

He started reading The Exorcist on the train.

He said he thought it was the most evil book he’d ever read.

In fact, he said it was so evil he couldn’t finish it.

So, at the weekend, he went to the end of Brighton pier and threw it as far as he could.

So I went to the bookshop.

I bought another copy.

Then I ran it under the tap.

And left it in his desk drawer.

For him to find.

From here.