Top brand dog/cat food

The trouble is, many people simply can't be bothered to read the ingredients list and think all dog food is the same.

That is exactly the point that the OP was making. No offence meant, but I do not see it as a reason for feeding raw food. Rather, to learn about dog food ingredients and to check the label. There are some super, protein rich foods on the market right now, the majority from small companies such as:

Applaws

Canagan

Eden

Lily's Kitchen

Orijen

Millie's Wolfheart

There are more, including the cold pressed food (Gentle) that I give to my dogs.

But lots of people who can't be bothered to read the ingredients list, don't do so because they simply don't care what the ingredients are! My boyfriend's sister for example. She gets Wagg because it's cheap. Her dog likes it so therefore (in her eyes) it's a good food, even better because it's a bargain! She highly recommends it.

Talking of reading labels, James Wellbeloved have 'changed' their recipe for the 'duck/turkey etc...&rice' products. The recipe was white rice at the top of the list and there is (and was) approximately 45% of it so quite a lot of the product is rice. They must have become aware that folk are now becoming more discerning and looking for the meat/fish content at the top so they have split the rice into white and brown in order to allow them to put the meat at the top (by a tiny percentage) but it is largely the same product.

'New' formula:

Turkey meal (23.3%), brown rice (22.3%), white rice (22.0%)

There is more cereal in the form of oats. Further down the list is sodium chloride and I have no idea why they add this.

Talk about smoke and mirrors!

Even so, it is better than Wag by a long way. As has been mentioned, the Pets at Home version (Wainwrights) is cheaper. Their grain free ones look much better than the others. Perhaps if you look out for some offers angel22, your brother's girlfriend might be persuaded? PaH often do the JWB at three for the price of two.

Edited by ccit