Where can I get some work experience?

I recently did a course in Phlebotomy (taking blood) which I passed. I would like to gain some experience before applying for jobs but have had no luck in getting the experience. I have tried GP's surgeries but nobody wants to know.

Was this an online course?

What other qualifications do you have?

I would've thought that hospital departments would be your best bet. Have you tried the volunteer co-ordinator at the hospital.

I'd apply for jobs anyway? There is a huge shortage of healthcare staff, find a place where they will agree to let you train alongside an experienced nurse for a while.

Probably the blood transfusion service would be worth a try.

I recently did a course in Phlebotomy (taking blood) which I passed. I would like to gain some experience before applying for jobs but have had no luck in getting the experience. I have tried GP's surgeries but nobody wants to know.

Just do something, anything; a vets or a butchers.

I worked as a phlebotomist a few years ago at a GP surgery.

I wanted to take a refresher course to return to work but couldn't get into a surgery as I was told its a patient confidentiality issue.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 19:00 ----------

Was this an online course?

What other qualifications do you have?

I wouldn't think you could do it online as you need 20 supervised ones to qualify

Edited by Orangepip

I'd apply for jobs anyway? There is a huge shortage of healthcare staff, find a place where they will agree to let you train alongside an experienced nurse for a while.

Do you know why there is such a shortage? Lack of applicants or lack of good applicants or just not enough people to do the job?

Do you know why there is such a shortage? Lack of applicants or lack of good applicants or just not enough people to do the job?

1) Brexit - lack of non UK applicants

2) Staff turnover - nurses are leaving in their thousands due to increased workload (especially EU nurses leaving, odd that)

3) less than inflation compensation - Today the government announced a sub-inflation payrise of 1% compared to 2,3% inflation

4) Reduced quota - the government capped the number of nurse-students eligible for a bursary - to below the number required because of immigration. now they removed the bursary and the cap, but new nurses are required to take on a student loan.

5) stresses of the job - working in an understaffed ward is sheer hell.

6) outsourcing - many capable nurses left for agencies which pay a significant amount more than the NHS.

Try and get some Spirometry, Ear Syringing, Vaccine, Blood Pressure, BM, and specimen testing experience and you would be ok for a HCA post.

Maybe try for a support worker role where you will do some of those along with the required safeguarding and medication administration courses

1) Brexit - lack of non UK applicants

2) Staff turnover - nurses are leaving in their thousands due to increased workload (especially EU nurses leaving, odd that)

3) less than inflation compensation - Today the government announced a sub-inflation payrise of 1% compared to 2,3% inflation

4) Reduced quota - the government capped the number of nurse-students eligible for a bursary - to below the number required because of immigration. now they removed the bursary and the cap, but new nurses are required to take on a student loan.

5) stresses of the job - working in an understaffed ward is sheer hell.

6) outsourcing - many capable nurses left for agencies which pay a significant amount more than the NHS.

Thank you tim:thumbsup:

I did the course in a classroom environment with 15 other people, practiced on artificial arms with fake blood. The tutor told us to try getting experience at GP's or hospitals, working alongside nurses or other phlebotomists. You have to do procedure so many times before you are competent. I have worked as a GP receptionist before and a medical secretary, so interested in anything medical.