How to keep a printer cartridge from drying up.

I hardly use my printer but do not want my cartridges to dry up. (One black and one coloured). The saleslady at John Lewis says to run something through the printer around once a month. Is this too long ? Should it be every week ? Your advice would be appreciated.:)

Just do the printers 'test' page once every few weeks, there's no set time as it can vary from ink type to printer type....

I find every 3 weeks or so about right for most HP's...

Just do the printers 'test' page once every few weeks, there's no set time as it can vary from ink type to printer type....

I find every 3 weeks or so about right for most HP's...

Thank you Ghozer. I shall take your advice. :thumbsup:

Thank you Ghozer. I shall take your advice. :thumbsup:

No worries...

also, if you print the test page and notice it's fading or looks like it's drying - print a couple more and see if it recovers it....

if you have an HP printer, you can take a cotton bud, and some isopropyl alcohol, and carefully clean the ink outlet - then try a couple of test pages again

It is a HP printer and shall follow your further advice.:) By the way what is " isopropyl alcohol ?"

Also known as rubbing alcohol. Get mine off eBay, mainly use it to clean my phone/laptop screen and glasses but has other uses.

Also known as rubbing alcohol. Get mine off eBay, mainly use it to clean my phone/laptop screen and glasses but has other uses.

Can you buy it in the shops ?

I buy mine from ebay, around £5 for 500ml, it all depends how much you want and in what type of bottle etc... :)

Not easy from shops any-more, boots used to sell it but stopped allegedly because of H&S reasons. I have had success with using Methylated Spirits which you can easily pick up from Wilko but some seem to suggest not using it because it can leave a residue. Did read that a spray perfume will also work.

Edited by apelike

I buy mine from ebay, around £5 for 500ml, it all depends how much you want and in what type of bottle etc... :)

I've never bought anything online .

I've never bought anything online .

...................:o