TV Repair - Is It Worth It

Last night my tv broke. No warning - no picture but there was still sound and power. It's an LG 32" Smart TV. This morning there is power but no sound - but the I was changing cables last night so it could be that. I've tried different cables, switching the whole thing off etc

My question is, is it worth repairing? I googled and it could be the backlight. No idea on repair costs but if it's going to be over £100 it may not be worth repairing. I looked at Currys (who would no doubt doubt charge more than normal) and they charged £95 plus materials. I don't feel confident to open up the back of it and do it myself. Any ideas?

Thanks

My experience is once something goes on a TV other things follow,as the repair cost would be a guess for us there maybe someone on here that would give you a price for fixing it,like I said until the next thing goes,have a look at Richer Sounds pretty much unbeatable on TV's. Ps radio is very good in the mean time :D

How old is the TV?

You may have rights under the Consumer Rights Act or Sale of Goods Act against the retailer who sold it you should you wish to go down that route.

but the I was changing cables last night // and there you have it get someone to have a look at the cable lay out not yourself :hihi::hihi:

is it scart? they are notoriously fiddley if you knock one, and the picture or sound can go, check those first.

to answer your question, prolly not these days, if it costs £70 or more to fix, you can buy one for £200? ish

Dont buy another LG tv. They have a very high failure rate. Always go for either sony,samsung, panasonic or phillips. Or budget tv brand Hisense are good.

Was the TV on when you changed the cable? There is always a risk of causing damage to a TV if changing cables when powered up. Particularly with HDMI.

Shouldn't affect backlight though if it is that.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 19:11 ----------

If it is the backlight you should be able to see a faint image if you shine a torch at the screen. If it is that, it's more likely to be the inverter that supplies the power to the light rather than the light itself.

Never had any problems at all with lg tvs

Despite what anyone on here has said about LG televisions being unreliable - take no notice.

My wife and I have had our LG television for 10 years and its never caused us any problems whatsoever and is still as good as the day we bought it.

Previous to our LG television, we had a 42 inch Phillips purchased Curry's - it lasted 10 months before breaking down, being under guarantee we made our claim and were informed the repair cost wasn't worth it, they would replace the set.

We asked if we could put extra money to what we were owed for a replacement set and get the LG instead....... we got it and have never looked back.

Just as a back up, we took out home insurance with another company, which covered contents and breakdown of the TV ( insurance cover about £125 approx. a year ), if the TV broke down and was un-repairable, then under the terms of the insurance cover, we would get a new TV of the same make and model free of charge.

The moral of all this being: on purchase of a new and expensive TV it is worth taking out insurance cover, then if anything happens to the TV, it is either repaired free of charge or replaced......... a lot cheaper to pay for insurance cover than to have to buy a new TV £800 +

Despite what anyone on here has said about LG televisions being unreliable - take no notice.

I agree, they are also one of the largest companies that make LCD screens as well.

The moral of all this being: on purchase of a new and expensive TV it is worth taking out insurance cover, then if anything happens to the TV, it is either repaired free of charge or replaced......... a lot cheaper to pay for insurance cover than to have to buy a new TV £800 +

Better still buy one from Richer Sounds with a free 6 year guarantee included.

Better still buy one from Richer Sounds with a free 6 year guarantee included.

They only say that because of the consumer rights that state electrical items should be good for a minimum of 6 years..... so if they have any failings, they go back to the manufacturer under that clause...

Which anyone can actually do themselves....