Query about web dev training

right, i know a few of you are into this sort of thing so i thought id ask here. just been on job sites looking at job vacancies and one came up for Web developer training. so just thought on the off chance id apply, never know, its someat different.

anyway, half an hour later the chaps on the phone...for 10 minutes, boy he could talk the hind legs off a donkey, he never shut up lol.

its these https://www.thetrainingroom.com/it/?type=all&loc=all

anyway the course is almost £3000, i do still have most of my redundency but as im not getting dole yet i do still need to pay rent etc. theres various funding ways to pay like upfront, or monthly (with interest) which doesnt start till july.

He says if i spent 6 hours a day online doing it i could be fully qualified in 6 weeks Oo with a junior position not long after, apparently they are a careers service and for 3 years they get you jobs.

He said Junior positions can be between £20.000 and £25.000 and after say 3 years of work experience could be on £40.000? Oo

all sounds a bit too good to be true? lol

no experience needed but obviously i am computer literate, website literate, got very basic knowledge of HTML tags, FTP etc etc

It all depends what you're doing (HTML, PHP, JAVA, WebGL, Ruby, or one of the many other web languages/scripts) and if you're actually any good at it..

For the same amount of time, you can follow guides and tutorials on google and be able to build a website within a few months, and that doesn't cost you anything... (I taught myself HTML/PHP and MySQL a few years ago, took about 6 months to be reasonably fluent)

the only difference is you have to seek out the lessons and tutorials yourself, instead of them being provided.... I honestly don't see a point in paying £3k for something you can find out yourself!!

and I haven't known any jobs ask for specific web/script language qualifications - it's always just listed as a required skill, and just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you're actually any good ;)

And then there's the fact that web coding/language isn't for eveyone, you may start it and 2 weeks in not like it, and feel it's not for you... :)

Depending on the specifics (which bit(s) you would like to learn) - I could find you out some tutorials etc (w3c schools is very good)

**EDIT**

I had a look through the site, and it seems it's CSS3: HTML5: JavaScript... which is very basic stuff, and the easiest to learn on your own imho :)

yeah cheers its HTML 5, CSS, Javascript etc, i did learn a bit of HTML years ago, but only to a very basic level, create a very basic site with links to other pages etc

as for qualifications, most jobs ive seen applied for want qualifications / experience so thought if you went for an IT job youd need a qualification in that subject rather than a oh i taught miself, oh ok then youve got the job :P

yeah cheers its HTML 5, CSS, Javascript etc, i did learn a bit of HTML years ago, but only to a very basic level, create a very basic site with links to other pages etc

as for qualifications, most jobs ive seen applied for want qualifications / experience so thought if you went for an IT job youd need a qualification in that subject rather than a oh i taught miself, oh ok then youve got the job :P

Lots do ask for the qualification, but if you make a note of "self taught HTML5/CSS" or whatever somewhere in your CV, then it will be asked about and they maybe even give you a little test or trial (I have had that before for jobs)

I mean, it's obviously totally up to you, but personally I don't see it as worth the value...

Maybe try some online first, (bits of HTML5 and CSS, then if you're ok with that bits of simple JavaScript) - and then if you're ok with it, enjoy it then decide if you wish to do the course...

it could be that you do, and it's all fine and take the course - or it could be that you enjoy it but are learning enough just doing it online like I suggested, and continue that way.... :)

Here's the w3school page for HTML(5)...

https://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

And here's the one for JavaScript...

https://www.w3schools.com/js/

CSS (and others) are across the top :)

Edited by Ghozer

Lots do ask for the qualification, but if you make a note of "self taught HTML5/CSS" or whatever somewhere in your CV, then it will be asked about and they maybe even give you a little test or trial (I have had that before for jobs)

I mean, it's obviously totally up to you, but personally I don't see it as worth the value...

Maybe try some online first, (bits of HTML5 and CSS, then if you're ok with that bits of simple JavaScript) - and then if you're ok with it, enjoy it then decide if you wish to do the course...

it could be that you do, and it's all fine and take the course - or it could be that you enjoy it but are learning enough just doing it online like I suggested, and continue that way.... :)

Here's the w3school page for HTML(5)...

https://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

And here's the one for JavaScript...

https://www.w3schools.com/js/

CSS (and others) are across the top :)

cheers fella ill take a look, the thing about doing "official" courses for me anyway, aswell as having something att he end to say yeah ive done it, is the deadlines, the structure etc, i tend to get distracted and toss about instead of doing it lol

I'll be honest, if you had a certificate for some online training you'd done but no other experience to demonstrate your skills, even at a junior role I don't think I'd invite you for an interview. It's the good old chicken and egg scenario again, but for a junior role I'd want someone to show an ability to learn quickly and keenness to do the job over a cert from a company I've perhaps never heard of.

I would say that building your own site with the skills you learn by doing the online courses is a better way forward. You can then actually show something to a potential employer rather than a piece of paper. If someone was able to show me a well crafted website (that's the languages you are talking about) that they'd put together that would show me not only their skill, but also that they actually want to do this and have learnt how to put into practice things they've picked up online.

You could even make your CV a website. This is one for a web designer, hopefully you see my point about demoing what you know: http://www.rleonardi.com/interactive-resume/

I'll be honest, if you had a certificate for some online training you'd done but no other experience to demonstrate your skills, even at a junior role I don't think I'd invite you for an interview. It's the good old chicken and egg scenario again, but for a junior role I'd want someone to show an ability to learn quickly and keenness to do the job over a cert from a company I've perhaps never heard of.

I would say that building your own site with the skills you learn by doing the online courses is a better way forward. You can then actually show something to a potential employer rather than a piece of paper. If someone was able to show me a well crafted website (that's the languages you are talking about) that they'd put together that would show me not only their skill, but also that they actually want to do this and have learnt how to put into practice things they've picked up online.

You could even make your CV a website. This is one for a web designer, hopefully you see my point about demoing what you know: http://www.rleonardi.com/interactive-resume/

i feel dirty now, he worked for fox news :o

:help:

LOL

:hihi:

If you want something a bit more formal you could look into Massive Open Online Courses (or MOOCs). They are free courses, usually run by recognised universities - the Open University seem to be coordinating UK based MOOCs via its FutureLearn initiative. Being able to say "I've successfully completed ABC course run by XYZ University" will sound better than just "I've trained myself at home". They often have an option of paying a fee to get a certificate that says you've successfully competed the course.

I'd need to see more evidence of their "careers service", with details of people who've got jobs.

Retraining is all well and good (I'd love to work in the outdoors rather than in IT), but there are lots of young graduates who will always be favoured over someone who just has a love or a recent interest in the subject.

Edited by alchresearch

I'd need to see more evidence of their "careers service", with details of people who've got jobs.

Retraining is all well and good (I'd love to work in the outdoors rather than in IT), but there are lots of young graduates who will always be favoured over someone who just has a love or a recent interest in the subject.

well you know, got nowt going for me at the moment.

No job

No prospects

No dole

Not much money lol

may aswell do someat

well you know, got nowt going for me at the moment.

No job

No prospects

No dole

Not much money lol

may aswell do someat

What's your history Mel? If you are looking for an IT role I have plenty of contacts but I don't know if they are looking for totally inexperienced staff at the moment...

What's your history Mel? If you are looking for an IT role I have plenty of contacts but I don't know if they are looking for totally inexperienced staff at the moment...

i have no history as such lol, just bumble from one thing to another lol

went from doleskum for 18 years doing bits and bobs in between to part time caretaker to the job i was in for 11 years and made redundent from (factory production work, and rose to team leader, just as they got rid of that role lol), just done 2 weeks temp work at a sister factory of the one ive just left, but they said there wasnt enough work to keep me full time, cue protestations from those actually doing the job Oo

IT wise im computer literate, done courses here and there and helped people voluntarily on the courses.

I fiddle about, repairing pcs, fiddling with programs and windows / linux etc.

but yeah nothing really meaty to use.

i dont live in sheffield by the way im in the middle of nowhere and dont drive, which cuts down considerably what i can apply for, i cant say apply to scarborough or malton or stokesly or stockton as i just cant get there