Hi,

We're thinking of getting the front of our house rendered. It's a two bed semi, currently it's just painted and looks very shabby.

We've no idea what the average price would be for this. We've had one quote for £3k. Does this sound about right?

Also wondering if, to make it cheaper, we could just have it fixed up and re-painted, but don't know whether paying for this would be worth it in the long run...

Does seem a bit steep but without seeing the house couldn't really be sure.

Hi,

We're thinking of getting the front of our house rendered. It's a two bed semi, currently it's just painted and looks very shabby.

We've no idea what the average price would be for this. We've had one quote for £3k. Does this sound about right?

Also wondering if, to make it cheaper, we could just have it fixed up and re-painted, but don't know whether paying for this would be worth it in the long run...

i have changed this as i misread.

just the front possibly about right, painted substrates need more preparation or the render will end up on the floor.

remember theres scaffolding materials and waste to consider and also depends on what type of render your having, a modern render will be slightly more, but in my opinion better quality and more reliable.

i wouldn't focus on trying to get it done cheap, i have seen cheap rendering and its not pretty.

make sure your getting some sort of guarantee from the applicator and the render manufacturer if your using a modern render

Edited by Mac_Plas

Its not cheap if its only the front. We had our old render knocked off and new render applied. Its the type of render that has colour in it and never needs painting. It was about five years since we had it done, or thereabouts. My parents had theirs done the previous year and both still look good.

Our house has three floors and its on a slope so its quite high and needed quite a bit of scaffolding. The third floor is up in under the roof and there are windows that had to be rendered around at this height. Its not a nice neat square house which would make the job easier. It does have some recon stone but a significant part is rendered. Its quite a long thin house about twice the size of two modern four bed detached houses. We only paid around £6k to have the render removed and replaced.

It was done by a local company which has been going for some time. Here is who did ours.

http://www.lloydcloughplastering.co.uk/

If the house has not been rendered before and has solid walls it will need to be insulated rendering according to building regulations=

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/18/external_walls/5

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/18/external_walls/2

Edited by mafya

£3k way too much, i have just had a 3 bed semi front rendered with the latest colored render, on to bare brick after a coat of blue grit and a mesh, trade cost was £1200, so i wouldnt expect any more than £1850 for a residential customer.

I'm sorry but its painted brickwork.

you cannot just bang render on the top, blue grit is not used for external works, no liquid primer should be used on painted brickwork, it won't take and its too much weight hanging from a painted substrate.

Chez2 prices 5 years ago and prices today have changed, scaffolding prices have gone up, the cost of waste disposal has gone up, the cost of render has gone up.

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 18:52 ----------

£3k way too much, i have just had a 3 bed semi front rendered with the latest colored render, on to bare brick after a coat of blue grit and a mesh, trade cost was £1200, so i wouldnt expect any more than £1850 for a residential customer.

http://b-k-systems.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Febbond-Blue-Grit.pdf

go to the bottom of the first page, under limitations, i hope they didn't use blue grit.

For £3k ask them what manufacturers they are using and ask them to get them involved, any renderer worth there their salt will have no problems getting a manufacturer involved, you then know you are getting it done correctly, you should get a 3-5 year applicator guarantee and a 10-30 manufacturers guarantee which covers your backside.

you want the right preparation work, the right mesh and the right thickness applying

Edited by Mac_Plas

Sounds like daylight robbery to me 3k for a front .

Sounds like daylight robbery to me 3k for a front .

it is mate if your using blue grit

I'm sorry but its painted brickwork.

you cannot just bang render on the top, blue grit is not used for external works, no liquid primer should be used on painted brickwork, it won't take and its too much weight hanging from a painted substrate.

Chez2 prices 5 years ago and prices today have changed, scaffolding prices have gone up, the cost of waste disposal has gone up, the cost of render has gone up.

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 18:52 ----------

http://b-k-systems.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Febbond-Blue-Grit.pdf

go to the bottom of the first page, under limitations, i hope they didn't use blue grit.

For £3k ask them what manufacturers they are using and ask them to get them involved, any renderer worth there their salt will have no problems getting a manufacturer involved, you then know you are getting it done correctly, you should get a 3-5 year applicator guarantee and a 10-30 manufacturers guarantee which covers your backside.

you want the right preparation work, the right mesh and the right thickness applying

Waste prices haven't gone up that much, its what I do for a living on a commercial scale. This job hasn't even got much waste.

We had our render knocked off so there is extra labour and disposal that this job doesn't require for a start. In addition to that, compare the scale of doing the front of a semi and the size of the job we had done. We had to have all the prep from scratch because the old style render couldn't cope with the heat on the south facing back wall, especially around the windows.

They took all the drain pipes off and masked all the stone and the windows properly. I'm a bit nit picky with neatness and I couldn't fault the finish. Nice neat corners, no overspray anywhere. They put the drain pipes back up when they had done too.

The other prices haven't gone up that much either. Not to the scale you are suggesting. We have had them do some plastering for us since that date. These aren't the cheapest company. I agree with you on the fact you don't just look for the cheapest.

Prices go up every year, Render prices and other materials go up around 5%, i know as i spent near £50000 on the stuff.

5 years ago we were in a recession, plasterers and renderers were climbing over themselves for any job, even the poorly paid jobs.

i know lloyd cloughs i know what they pay their lads, i know what they paid them 5/6 years ago as they offered us houses at manvers paying £700.00 to dot/dab & plaster 3 storey houses.

Have you seen how much dust comes off a monocouche scratched render job, where do you think it goes, yesterday i paid for an 8 yard skip dropped which cost me £180.00 and then £50.00 for the labourer, £230.00... have a guess how much i made

we take off all downpipes and wall fixtures, we also have to pay or temporary downpipes and protection tapes, brick tapes, blue low residue tapes and window film which all costs money and takes time.

the first rendering job i did i charged £2k to render the front of a 3 bed semi, it took us 3 days, have a guess how much i made after.

Scaffolding

Render

Beads

Primer

Skips

Labour

protection tapes and non reusables

Mesh

sealants

not a lot, in fact i think i was around £100 down

no disrespect, you talking to someone who does this day in day out.

has anyone even thought about VAT?

---------- Post added 03-04-2016 at 21:05 ----------

go and look at Parex, K rend Weber all the mono render manufacturers data sheets all available on the net, they all say the same.

in fact better still ring the reps up, ask them about painted brickwork, its easier to strip a property of render than start messing about stripping a wall of paint,

you can't just say "oh mine cost £xx 5 years ago" every jobs is different

Edited by Mac_Plas

I am aware, I run a business. Its a VAT registered business too.

Its sound like you are suggesting my house would cost £20K to render now. :roll: I know every house isn't them same. Read what the OP has put and read what I have written.