Any foolproof tips on dealing with SCC Housing Team?

Anyone have any tips, do's, don'ts etc when dealing with major repairs being carried out by sub contractors on behalf of SCC please?

I have a relative who hasn't had the decent homes work on the property they rent (and despite asking for the previous four years for any idea of when) now there is funding for replacement windows, doors, kitchen and bathrooms.

The issue is my relative has additional needs and ,after last year's central heating replacement, we need to be able to organise and plan this so she doesn't bear the full force of the upheaval.

After an initial couple of phone calls I'm getting nowhere, can't even give me a direct number to contact the Asset Management Team because it's private :help:

Those who had work done in the decent homes schemes or anyone with anything useful any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

---------- Post added 01-04-2016 at 17:05 ----------

It's cold over ere.

People are shy in Prop and Housing, I need the robustness of Sheffield discussion :D

---------- Post added 02-04-2016 at 06:27 ----------

See.

You killed the thread, hiding it here. :(

Anyone have any tips, do's, don'ts etc when dealing with major repairs being carried out by sub contractors on behalf of SCC please?

I have a relative who hasn't had the decent homes work on the property they rent (and despite asking for the previous four years for any idea of when) now there is funding for replacement windows, doors, kitchen and bathrooms.

The issue is my relative has additional needs and ,after last year's central heating replacement, we need to be able to organise and plan this so she doesn't bear the full force of the upheaval.

After an initial couple of phone calls I'm getting nowhere, can't even give me a direct number to contact the Asset Management Team because it's private :help:

Those who had work done in the decent homes schemes or anyone with anything useful any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

---------- Post added 01-04-2016 at 17:05 ----------

It's cold over ere.

People are shy in Prop and Housing, I need the robustness of Sheffield discussion :D

---------- Post added 02-04-2016 at 06:27 ----------

See.

You killed the thread, hiding it here. :(

the number isnt private ring the call centre (2734567) and ask to speak to the manager of the section ( i think its Mark Beeley) if you get no joy call your councillor they can even look to have the person temporarily decanted until the work is finished

the number isnt private ring the call centre (2734567) and ask to speak to the manager of the section ( i think its Mark Beeley) if you get no joy call your councillor they can even look to have the person temporarily decanted until the work is finished

Thanks Narden :)

We daren"t let them work on the property while it's vacant because (allegedly) the "Elements' scheme will be unlike decent homes in as much as they don't do all the work at once.

Poor old Clive Betts has heard more about this property than he needs to but all that has happened is a follow up call from someone at SCC promising the work but with no date.

The central heating was replaced last year and as you would expect all the floors had to be lifted (not a major issue we knew it would be done eventually) the upstairs had to be ply lined (cheaper than trying to repair so many uneven boards) and finally after living in the property 4 years carpets were fitted.

When we asked about this in light of the further work that needed doing we were told that the money wasn't available for Windows so we went ahead....

I think another email to Mr Betts is needed maybe he can arrange for a liason with someone who dares to follow things up in writing!

Firstly, be HONEST! They can smell a lie like a fart in a lift. Secondly, you need to think about what factors they will see as being the most mitigating. Does your relative have any health issues? Have they been discriminated against because of their sexual orientation/race/age/religion? If you allude to those factors, the council will deal with it as a matter of urgency.

If all else fails, there may be charities which can help. If they are elderly, then http://www.ageuk.org may be able to help.

Firstly, be HONEST! They can smell a lie like a fart in a lift. Secondly, you need to think about what factors they will see as being the most mitigating. Does your relative have any health issues? Have they been discriminated against because of their sexual orientation/race/age/religion? If you allude to those factors, the council will deal with it as a matter of urgency.

If all else fails, there may be charities which can help. If they are elderly, then http://www.ageuk.org may be able to help.

I don't think what we want is especially unreasonable,

Our issues are fairly routine (in my opinion feel free to correct me ;))

Firstly instead of "surveyors will be around sometime to assess any work to be done' we would like to know who to expect (not the individual just which contractor) and an appointment to be made when they come so someone else can be there with dsis.

Secondly we would like to have before pictures taken of the interior by SCC and our self in case there is any damage.

Thirdly any work agreed on in writing. With a breakdown of what contractors will be attending for which job and when.

Fourthly a named contactable liason.

Does that sound too much?

My sister is a vulnerable adult but we didn't really want special treatment just plain old appointments and knowing who to expect so we can chuck in additional support where needed.

We're trying to avoid the confusion and upset caused by various hi viz types milling around her house but it's harder than getting the gate code for bleeding GCHQ :roll: