The Late Clive Clarke Played for WBA

Hi can anyone tell me if the Late Clive Clarke WBA played for Sheffield !!!!!

Leeds. 57-58

QPR. 58-60

WBA. 60-69

QPR. 69-70

Preston. 70-73

Southport. 73-74

According to Wikipedia

Edited by nikki-red

He was one of the best wingers of his day. You spelt his name wrong.

A proper winger , who i saw a few times play for W.B.A. who were a decent side at the time with players like Jeff Astle, Tony Brown and Bobby Hope upfront. Those were the days.

A proper winger , who i saw a few times play for W.B.A. who were a decent side at the time with players like Jeff Astle, Tony Brown and Bobby Hope upfront. Those were the days.

Correct, Clive Clark did not play for the Owls but his team mate Bobby Hope did later.

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 17:07 ----------

He was one of the best wingers of his day. You spelt his name wrong.

Yes Jim, and I recall the best 'wingers' from those days -mid/late '60s- that used to come to Hillsborough and torment the Owl's defence ie; Clive Clark (WBA), Peter Houseman (Chelsea), Jackie Sinclair (Leicester, later an Owls player), Neil Young (Man.City) etc. etc. And that Belfast kid who seemed to mesmerize them even the few times he stood still !

Edited by stpetre
add

Correct, Clive Clark did not play for the Owls but his team mate Bobby Hope did later.

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 17:07 ----------

Yes Jim, and I recall the best 'wingers' from those days -mid/late '60s- that used to come to Hillsborough and torment the Owl's defence ie; Clive Clark (WBA), Peter Houseman (Chelsea), Jackie Sinclair (Leicester, later an Owls player), Neil Young (Man.City) etc. etc. And that that Belfast kid who seemed to mesmerize them even the few times he stood still !

Don Megson could handle that Belfast kid that's why he often played on the other wing at Hillsborough.

Don Megson could handle that Belfast kid that's why he often played on the other wing at Hillsborough.

Didn't reckon on that one Mr.T. That then left Wilf Smith to mark the Irish Imp

and Don Megson and Sam Ellis to take care of Bobby Charlton and Denis Law !

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Yes Jim, and I recall the best 'wingers' from those days -mid/late '60s- that used to come to Hillsborough and torment the Owl's defence ie; Clive Clark (WBA), Peter Houseman (Chelsea), Jackie Sinclair (Leicester, later an Owls player), Neil Young (Man.City) etc. etc. And that Belfast kid who seemed to mesmerize them even the few times he stood still !

Leicester always had good wingers in the 60s and 70s. As well as Sinclair I can remember Stringfellow, Glover and Weller. All top class.

I was fortunate enough to see Tom Finney play in a game we drew 2-2 with PNE, but never saw Stanley Matthews.

I was fortunate enough to see Tom Finney play in a game we drew 2-2 with PNE, but never saw Stanley Matthews.

Tom Finney, a 'one club' man throughout his career. Can't see that happening many more times.

---------- Post added 29-03-2017 at 18:48 ----------

Leicester always had good wingers in the 60s and 70s. As well as Sinclair I can remember Stringfellow, Glover and Weller. All top class.

Howard Riley was another one for Leicester and one winger I forgot from around that time was Mike Hellawell (Birmingham City), who was probably the fastest one I every saw. Then there was Francisco Gento (Real Madrid and Spain) but he's another story.

I remember that game. I think all the goals came in the last 15 minutes and the great man got both Preston's goals. I think it was his last season.

I saw Stan play but don't remember him doing much. It might have been the 5-0 match when all five Wednesday forwards scored. Wilkinson, Froggatt, Shiner, Fantham and Finney. Shiner's was the best of the goals.

I remember that game. I think all the goals came in the last 15 minutes and the great man got both Preston's goals. I think it was his last season.

I saw Stan play but don't remember him doing much. It might have been the 5-0 match when all five Wednesday forwards scored. Wilkinson, Froggatt, Shiner, Fantham and Finney. Shiner's was the best of the goals.

According to my late dad, rumour had it Stan didn't like coming to play at Hillsborough because of the 'close attention' he received from Norman Curtis.