Is democracy less good?

Tim Farron has said it is "in the interests of British democracy" that the Lib Dems recover in next week's UK-wide elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36174307

I dont feel that there i a party that represents my views, if the Liberal Democrats are wiped out. Do some people think that things were better under the coalition, with the Liberal Democrats moderating the Tories?

Who do Labour party voters vote for, if they do not like Corbyn?

I have always believed in PR, that would help the smaller parties. Will national politics influence your vote, in the local elections?

Tim Farron has said it is "in the interests of British democracy" that the Lib Dems recover in next week's UK-wide elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36174307

I dont feel that there i a party that represents my views, if the Liberal Democrats are wiped out. Do some people think that things were better under the coalition, with the Liberal Democrats moderating the Tories?

Who do Labour party voters vote for, if they do not like Corbyn?

I have always believed in PR, that would help the smaller parties. Will national politics influence your vote, in the local elections?

My biggest motivator in local elections is the useless local council.

I rarely vote for Mickey Mouse candidates in Mickey Mouse locals elections.

The Liberal Democrats benifited in 2010 because of the novelty factor of the party leaders debates which denied an outright majority victory for the Conservatives. As part of the coalition agreement the British electorate had a chance to change the voting system in a referendum in 2011 and democratically chose to keep the first past the post system.

I think things are better now that the Liberal Democrats no longer have any influence and the Consevartives are fully responsible for Government policies.

It's in the LibDem's interests if they do better in the local elections. Not sure if it's in anyone else's best interests or not.

Btw, the LibDems have gone very quiet on PR after UKIP and the Greens got 5 million votes between them at the general election, but only got 2 MP's. The LibDems got 8 MP's with only 2.4 million, less even than UKIP's 3.8 million votes.

Democracy is an illusion. But until something better comes along, it's all we've got.

I rarely vote for Mickey Mouse candidates in Mickey Mouse locals elections.

The Liberal Democrats benifited in 2010 because of the novelty factor of the party leaders debates which denied an outright majority victory for the Conservatives. As part of the coalition agreement the British electorate had a chance to change the voting system in a referendum in 2011 and democratically chose to keep the first past the post system.

I think things are better now that the Liberal Democrats no longer have any influence and the Consevartives are fully responsible for Government policies.

When you say the Lib-Dems benefited in the 2010 General Election, are you talking about the same 2010 General Election where they lost 5 seats?

It's in the LibDem's interests if they do better in the local elections. Not sure if it's in anyone else's best interests or not.

Btw, the LibDems have gone very quiet on PR after UKIP and the Greens got 5 million votes between them at the general election, but only got 2 MP's. The LibDems got 8 MP's with only 2.4 million, less even than UKIP's 3.8 million votes.

They are still in favour of PR. They are quite reasonably, concentrating on recovering from the last election and the EU vote at the moment.

When you say the Lib-Dems benefited in the 2010 General Election, are you talking about the same 2010 General Election where they lost 5 seats?

Yes, that will be same election in which they increased their share of the vote.

Yes, that will be same election in which they increased their share of the vote.

A whole one percent swing in their favour. Wow.

A whole one percent swing in their favour. Wow.

The Conservatives increased their share of the vote by less than 1% in 2015 which was enough for them to secure an overall majority. A whole 1% swing can make a wow of a difference to an outcome of a close election.

I never thought there was any dispute that the Liberal Democrats benifited the most from the leaders debates in 2010 and guess if someone studies the opinion polls in 2010, they will show a boost of far more than 1% for the Liberal Democrats after the leaders debates.

The Conservatives increased their share of the vote by less than 1% in 2015 which was enough for them to secure an overall majority. A whole 1% swing can make a wow of a difference to an outcome of a close election.

I never thought there was any dispute that the Liberal Democrats benifited the most from the leaders debates in 2010 and guess if someone studies the opinion polls in 2010, they will show a boost of far more than 1% for the Liberal Democrats after the leaders debates.

So the swing to the Lib-Dems dropped in the 2010 General Election from the 2005 General Election, 3.7% to 1%, and you judge this drop as a success that was attained due the benefit of the novelty of the leadership debate.

I'm not disagreeing that Clegg had an excellent series of leadership debates, but unfortunately it did not lead to further gains for the Lib-Dems.

I remember that the 2010 election results were a big disappointment for the Lib-Dems, they expected to do much better after their successful 2005 campaign and what was perceived to be very good 2010 campaign. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out that way for them.

Democracy is an illusion. But until something better comes along, it's all we've got.

And it's better than some alternatives! Unless people are dyed in the wool loyal party members, most struggle to find a party that meets all their aspirations, and vote based on the least worst option.

In reply to the OP, national politics and local ones are two very different animals IMO. I've voted for different ones in the past, but this year, my interest in local, national and police commissioner elections is almost at rock bottom. I'm not inspired by the status quo locally, I'd really like to see several parties/independents to be represented with N.O.C. and a non political police commissioner.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Sp