Chilcott enquiry into Iraq war blocked yet again.

The Chilcott enquiry into the Iraq war (the third enquiry,) has been blocked again by Tony Blair.

The release of transcripts of conversations between Gordon Brown, Tony Blair and George W Bush have been blocked indefinately by cabinet secretary Jeremy Heywood, in spite of Sir John Chilcott's demand that they be declassified.

He now fears that the enquiry might never be concluded and it would be a waste of money to continue. (It's cost £7.4 million so far and could run into hundreds of millions.) So it looks like Tony can sleep easy in his bed and go back to making his millions without divulging where it's all coming from, and the families of all those men and women who died can whistle for the answers they've been waiting so long for.....

Aint politics grand....

I for one don't care. Blair and co have been shown for what they are. The world know what they did and I don't see the point of wasting more money.

As much as I hate Blair, I'm not sure I like the idea of spending more money on a fudged enquiry. And lets say its found he should be tried for war crimes - the damage that would do to our standing in the international community would be huge.

Here we are, 2016 and still no sign of it appearing. Wonder how much this farce has cost the public, hundreds of thousands or millions, guess we will never find out.*

Angel1.

Here we are, 2016 and still no sign of it appearing. Wonder how much this farce has cost the public, hundreds of thousands or millions, guess we will never find out.*

Angel1.

Is this Chilcott's only job? If it is it's a nice cushy number. Wonder how much he's getting paid

Is this Chilcott's only job? If it is it's a nice cushy number. Wonder how much he's getting paid

He must have a very hungry dog, it keeps eating his homework.

In 2010 it was reported he was on £790 a day. The three other members of his committee are on £565 a day.

Edit: Those figures are still the case. http://www.iraqinquiry.org.uk/faq.aspx

Edited by the_bloke

If the enquiry has been finished, and a political decision is being made upon when would be the best time to release it, then surely we're not paying Chilcott anymore? He would have been paid for the time he spent actually working on the enquiry.

In 2010 it was reported he was on £790 a day. The three other members of his committee are on £565 a day.

Edit: Those figures are still the case. http://www.iraqinquiry.org.uk/faq.aspx

You could have got a couple of polish builders to do it for about £80.

£790 a day works out to be around £189k per annum give or take.

Edited by tinfoilhat

This makes Blair look as dodgy as hell. I would love to see him go on trial.

This makes Blair look as dodgy as hell. I would love to see him go on trial.

It does make you wonder if there will be some sort cataclysmic conclusion, so they're looking for the right time to reveal it. I think that maybe they'll hold it back until the EU question has been decided.

Have I got this right?

Tony Blair hasn't blocked the transcripts being made public - the current cabinet secretary has. That's what the OP says - and while Blair has a great deal to answer for - can we make sure we (Anna) gets the charge to be answered correct