Choosing a company car.

Hi

I've just been offered a company car with my new job.

The company have offered to pay £300 a month including a maintenance fee of £50 per month.

Anyone have an idea on what the best new models to choose. Tax wise I'm in the 20% bracket and don't want to pay anymore than £150 a month.

Thanks

Jason

Do they have a list of available models or do you have to trawl round all the dealers getting prices and such??

Generally the best advice is don't get over-excited and try to get an Audi/BMW because you'll end up with a properly horrible spec'd car.

Look to find something more middle of the road, but with a nice spec.

Bluetooth handsfree should be high on the list if you're driving around alot for work, the fine for using your phone is now £100 and 3 points, not to be sniffed at!!

Will you be buying or leasing? Is the company giving you cash or are they paying?

I'd also suggest it depends on the job as well. If you will be expected to ferry customers around then you'll need a 4/5 door, with plenty of room in the back. If you have tools/equipment to carry then an estate may be best, and so on.

As for make, I've always found you can't usually go wrong with a Ford.

As for make, I've always found you can't usually go wrong with a Ford.

Yep, the current Astra line-up is pretty disappointing and the Corsa is no-where near as good as the current Fiesta, the little 1 litre turbo in the Fiesta is cracking.

The Insignia is still a pretty decent Saloon buy though, but it's fast becoming a hated car on the road due to the type of people who drive it.

Will you be buying or leasing? Is the company giving you cash or are they paying?

Hi

Company is paying?

Thanks

---------- Post added 04-05-2016 at 14:20 ----------

Do they have a list of available models or do you have to trawl round all the dealers getting prices and such??

Generally the best advice is don't get over-excited and try to get an Audi/BMW because you'll end up with a properly horrible spec'd car.

Look to find something more middle of the road, but with a nice spec.

Bluetooth handsfree should be high on the list if you're driving around alot for work, the fine for using your phone is now £100 and 3 points, not to be sniffed at!!

Thanks that's good advice.

Cheers!

Don't buy a passat - i've got one(business edition) its crap.

The skoda however is a class above,either the Octavia or Superb.As is the Mazda 6.

One of my colleagues drives the Golf and is impressed,several drive Insignias with no complaints.

I've got a 2ltr diesel Insignia, very nice to drive but they have been plagued by little gremlins, mainly on the coolant side. The EGR coolers are prone to cracking and leaking and another common fault is the intercooler pipe tends to split.

Hi

Company is paying?

Thanks

Depends on the mileage you do but a £300 a month business lease should be able to get you a lot of reasonable cars...

Don't dismiss Audi or bmws, the depreciation is better so a leased £22k mondeo wil probably cost the same as a £27k bmw. The engines and mpg are way better than ford/vauxhall so fuel costs will be lower.

I'd go for an Audi A3 2.0l tdi (my last car, never missed a beat in 70,000 miles) or a Seat Leon (my current car) same engine etc but more bells and whistles for your money.