Engine management warning light help please

Hello....I need some advice please.

I've got a Toyota Avensis on a 52 plate. I was driving along the other day and the (I presume) engine management light came on. It's on all the time now, not flickering or going off and on. It's just constantly on.

I'm presuming as you would, that it's indicating that something is amiss in regard to the engine. But the car drives perfectly, doesn't overheat, no loss of power, acceleration is fine, it starts first turn of the key, as it always has done. Nothing appears to be not working or misbehaving.

I recently (couple of weeks ago) had the front end of the exhaust renewed (at considerable cost), and have no idea if that could possibly be connected.

So at the moment, I'm still driving it about with the light glaring at me.

I've googled it, and there's various stories ranging from "My car has had the light on for six months, and it's fine"....To "It's the oxygen sensor and there's four of them, and they charge £200 a pop for them".....and various 'helpful advice' in between.

Any clues?

Only real way of finding out (other than guessing) is to get the fault codes read by someone...or buy a cheap reader yourself..

Pop out your engine management fuse. Leave it our for an hour then put it back in. The light should have gone, if theres any problem it will be back so get it down to a mechanic.

Pop out your engine management fuse. Leave it our for an hour then put it back in. The light should have gone, if theres any problem it will be back so get it down to a mechanic.

Is the memory in the ECU volatile?

Is the memory in the ECU volatile?

I believe it gets extremely irritated at times :hihi::hihi::hihi:

(Yes I do understand what you mean. But don't know the answer)

I believe it gets extremely irritated at times :hihi::hihi::hihi:

(Yes I do understand what you mean. But don't know the answer)

:D I'm not sure pulling the fuse will get rid of the light..I suppose it costs nothing ...

Ignore this post.

Pete, which area are you in?

Ignore this post.

I'm at work at the moment in Tinsley

Ignore this post.

Hes free to ignore it if he likes however its a safe and free option. Anyone says it isnt safe is after making a few quid of the back of the op. If theres a genuine fault then the light will come on again.

For anyone wandering it was an AA recovery mechanic who told me this, it was then backed up by my own mechanic. Sure its not the preferred way but at a pinch its a good and free way to see if there really is an issue.

I've googled it, and there's various stories ranging from "My car has had the light on for six months, and it's fine"

That's the worst thing that can be done. Imagine if you went to the doctors with internal pains and he said "on the outside you look OK" and just ignored you.

As is "popping out the engine management fuse". Not all cars have anything like this.

Granted, a fault light might come on and go off, if an issue is intermittent. But its a good idea to get it checked over properly to see where the intermittent fault is. I'd rather fix a faulty part on a clear weekend afternoon than be stuck on the hard shoulder on a cold wintry night when it eventually fails.

That's the worst thing that can be done. Imagine if you went to the doctors with internal pains and he said "on the outside you look OK" and just ignored you.

As is "popping out the engine management fuse". Not all cars have anything like this.

Granted, a fault light might come on and go off, if an issue is intermittent. But its a good idea to get it checked over properly to see where the intermittent fault is. I'd rather fix a faulty part on a clear weekend afternoon than be stuck on the hard shoulder on a cold wintry night when it eventually fails.

Generally speaking though....would you expect to have some sort of problem with the car? (With the EM light on)