Wheelchair users and prams on public transport, whose priority

Who should have priority on public transport?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who should have priority on public transport?

• Wheelchair users
    • Parents with prams
    • Not sure

Just reading an article on BBC News, and was interested in peoples opinions on the subject.

Who should have priority in occupying the wheelchair/buggy space?

Edited by Isabelle

Pushchairs annoy me when on packed public transport. I grow up down south and I remember my mother being asked to fold my little sisters push chair when we got on the bus.

Can anyone on here confirm if that was required up here in the late 80 ' s and early 90 ' s.

Obviously the answer to he questions is wheelchairs.

Wheelchair, surely? How is this even a debate?

This is all that needs to be said :)

Some of today's 'pushchairs' are as big as what I would call prams. They stick out into the aisle and can be quite difficult to get past, even more so when they have umpteen bags on the handles.

Pushchairs annoy me when on packed public transport. I grow up down south and I remember my mother being asked to fold my little sisters push chair when we got on the bus.

Can anyone on here confirm if that was required up here in the late 80 ' s and early 90 ' s.

Obviously the answer to he questions is wheelchairs.

It's never been "required", it's just like in the "olden days" smokers were "requested to use the upper deck" or "rear seats" on single deck buses.

It was simply regarded as the correct thing to do!

On the presumption that it is a shared wheelchair/pushchair space then priority should be given to the person who gets there first.

If it's purely a wheelchair designated space then any pushchairs occupying the space should move. The driver should also wait until the pushchair has been folded away, any shopping/bags appropriately stored and the parent is sitting with the child firmly held before setting off. I'm sure the rest of the passengers won't mind the wait.

jb

---------- Post added 13-11-2014 at 13:16 ----------

Why is there a debate here?

As this article states, these are designated wheelchair spaces.

Anyone else in one when a wheelchair user wants to use it moves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-30001656

I wonder what he would have done if the space had been occupied by another wheelchair user? How many spaces should a bus company provide? Is one enough? Should there be one for wheelchairs and one for buggies or two for wheelchairs? Should they get around the problem by being mainly an open space with standing room for the majority of passengers, plenty of spaces for wheelchairs ad buggies and only a few seats for the elderly or infirm?

jb

What annoys me is when pushchairs are put on the bus full of shopping and the child is walking onto the bus so obviously the pushchair isn't for the child.

What annoys me is when pushchairs are put on the bus full of shopping and the child is walking onto the bus so obviously the pushchair isn't for the child.

Because walking onto a bus is a great indicator of ones ability to walk much longer distances.

jb

Surely if we believe in equality it should be first come first serve, its hardly fair to ask anyone to leave a bus to let someone else on.

Surely if we believe in equality it should be first come first serve, its hardly fair to ask anyone to leave a bus to let someone else on.

Would you say it's ok for someone to simply stand in the wheelchair spot and refuse to move, on the reasoning that they were there first? Surely that's "equality" for everyone concerned, be they wheelchair users, people with pushchairs or none of the above?

Besides, I don't think equality means treating everyone the same. To me, it means providing everyone with equal experiences as far as we are able. In this case, it would be ensuring that a wheelchair user would be able to ride any bus that is not full (or as far as is practical, e.g. if there is already a wheelchair user on the bus then unfortunately it is not practical for them to be able to ride).