The Truth about A & E Waiting Times

It's blindingly obvious what's happening to the NHS. It's becoming privatised. The areas that have already been privatised are cutting wages by up to 9% and tens of thousands of jobs are being cut every year. This probably has something to do with the apathy and lack of motivation of the staff.

People working in factory jobs can earn a nurses wage, when you take the night shift pay into account. No wonder they have a lack of passion, which is really worrying when you consider what their job entails!

It's blindingly obvious what's happening to the NHS. It's becoming privatised. The areas that have already been privatised are cutting wages by up to 9% and tens of thousands of jobs are being cut every year. This probably has something to do with the apathy and lack of motivation of the staff.

People working in factory jobs can earn a nurses wage, when you take the night shift pay into account. No wonder they have a lack of passion, which is really worrying when you consider what their job entails!

Absolutely true. The NHS is not safe in this government's hands.

a few years ago I had the misfortune to have to visit the A&E at NGH on a friday afternoon, (fell off my mountain bike resulting in a 2 inch gash across my knee that needed 8 stitches) I got there at about 5.00pm and within 15 minutes was in to see the triage nurse who told me to expect a wait of up to 5 hours as there were no doctors due on duty till 8.00pm. As a result by the time the doctor started work on one of the busiest nights of the week the waiting room is already full to bursting. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what went wrong that night.Maybe they phoned in sick, I have no idea but if this happens every friday night theres no wonder theres a long wait.

I agree about sudden unexplained severe headaches, and to a lesser exent migraines (although migraine sufferers often have the requisite medication to hand and don't need to go to A & E if they take it early enough), but you would not believe the number of people who turn up in A & E with mild headaches which are not bad enough to have stopped them going out drinking that evening, or which have gone now, 'but I thought I had better get it checked out anyway'.:rolleyes:

Or just hangover/dehydration headaches, which are avoidable in any case.

A few months ago, I had to attend A&E because I had a sudden loss of one half of the vision in my right eye.

It was very scary, because I already have a history of diabetes related complications, including bleeding into my retinas.

At the time of the sudden vision loss, we did not know what it was. It could have been another, larger bleed. It could have been a detached retina. It could even have been a stroke.

Without the equipment at the hospital, there was no way of knowing what it was.

Thankfully, it turned out to be something called "Atypical Migraine".

I have suffered classical migraine since I was a child of 8 or 9. The aura I get with my migraines, usually, is the typical flashing lights and "sparklies".

This was a new one on me. When it comes to one's sight, you can't muck about. If there's something abnormal, like this loss of vision, you need to get medical help, immediately, if not sooner. especially with the history of retinal bleeds.

I was very grateful for the reassurance that was given to me by the hospital, that it was "only" migraine, and I felt a bit of a fraud, but, as I say, you cannot be too careful.

This was a new one on me. When it comes to one's sight, you can't muck about. If there's something abnormal, like this loss of vision, you need to get medical help, immediately, if not sooner. especially with the history of retinal bleeds.

I was very grateful for the reassurance that was given to me by the hospital, that it was "only" migraine, and I felt a bit of a fraud, but, as I say, you cannot be too careful.

It is difficult to disagree with any of that. I'm glad it wasn't anything major.

My husband suffered a partially detached retina a few months ago and that had been preceded by a headache, flashing lights, 'floaters' etc. He too was very grateful for the excellent care and laser surgery he received at Bradford Royal Infirmary Eye A & E.

Actually the 'headaches' issue highlights the essential problem in charging people/turning people away from A & E, or even being too officious about who may attend in the first place. The NHS cannot do it; they must see everyone who turns up, in order of clinical urgency. If they refuse to check over someone with a headache (however minor it seems), it would be sod's law that that that headache would turn out to be something serious.

If you get the message wrong (about who should and shouldn't go to A & E), some genuinely at risk people would stay at home - and possibly die, or suffer complications.

But the situation cannot go on as it is. It's at breaking point in some hospitals.

TBH on the few occasions I have had to go to A&E I have found them to be great (although this has been very early in the morning or in the day time) we have been dealt with quickly and professionally. I for one am a very happy customer:thumbsup:

I think that one of the problems is that folk like to complain about EVERYTHING and when you are sat there for a few hours waiting that's about all you can think about.

By the sounds of it though the night time seems to be works (probably because of people been drunk) and I personally think that that is one big problem with our country, Its seen as OK or even good to get absolutely smashed. I think that drinking is well over glorified and they should change some of the rules regarding the licences, opening times and advertising. (Also before anyone says it im not a 'party-pooper' and do like going out)

I think it is totally disgusting how you here how some of the NHS staff get treated, they shouldn't have to put up with. I totally take my hat off to them, they must all be strong individuals.

I think that the charging non emergencies a set fee is a good idea. Also changing drunk & uncooperative patients would be good too.

This would put more money back into the NHS so they could employ more staff, security e.c.t, yes??

My elderly father went to the walk-in clinic last weekend and there were 80 people waiting to be seen in front of him. It is time for serious investment in to the NHS and time for fines for those who abuse it.

Unfortunately I have copd and have had recurring bouts of pneumonia and chest infections.

I already spend a lot of time in hospitals at various sites for various clinics and tests.

I don't like being in hospital and have emergency medication at home but sometimes it just doesn't work. At this point I am usually admitted by ambulance because my breathing deteriorates rapidly.

Sods law says this is usually on a Friday or Saturday and I've also managed 3 bank holiday weekends in the last year.

On the last occasion as an example of how frustrating it can be, I was connected to oxygen and drips waiting for an x Ray behind a man who according to the radiographic had hurt his ankle 3 weeks previously but had come in now because it was a bank holiday and he wasn't at work!

I ask you wouldn't you get a bit frustrated?

2 things I've found out from the waiting rooms from my experiences:

No matter what you've done - tell them you've banged your head (even when its clear you've twisted your ankle) You'll get seen a lot faster.

If your injury is anything to do with sport - expect to wait at least 3 weeks in the waiting room before being seen..

2 things I've found out from the waiting rooms from my experiences:

No matter what you've done - tell them you've banged your head (even when its clear you've twisted your ankle) You'll get seen a lot faster.

Please explain how selfish people lying, wasting vital resources and attempting to jump the queue helps the crisis in A & E departments. It doesn't, of course. All it means is that people whose clinical need is in fact greater than yours (but the doctors don't know that, because you lied) has to wait longer while you feel smug because you think you have beaten the system.

If your injury is anything to do with sport - expect to wait at least 3 weeks in the waiting room before being seen.
Rubbish. If your sports-related injury is not leading to a deterioration in your condition then you will have to wait your turn like everyone else. If it's putting your life at risk, you'll be seen straight away.

As a general rule, though, older people who have a fall are classed as a higher clinical need than young people who injure themselves playing sport. Their condition is likely to deteriorate faster than yours with an equivalent injury (their circulatory systems are often less able to cope with serious trauma than yours).

Hope that helps.

I lived in America for 10 years and had to pay a big premium each month for cover if you have no money and lose your job then you have no health cover. People in the Uk should count themselfs so lucky to be able to go to A/E and not have to pay . I am Sheffield born and bred and so proud to be British and back living in the UK ./'

People in the Uk should count themselfs so lucky to be able to go to A/E and not have to pay .

But we do pay (through NI and taxation), albeit not at the point of service.