Hilary Mantel and the Assassination of Margaret Thatcher

The highly regarded author Hilary Mantel has caused a load of protest because her short story "The Assissination of Margaret Thatcher" is going to be read on Radio 4s Book at Bedtime slot.

Predictably, the Daily Mail has been wetting its knickers and foaming at the mouth at this 'outrage'. But all they are doing is publicising it :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873006/Thatcher-murder-BBC-s-Book-Bedtime-Radio-4-ignores-protests-author-s-sick-perverted-fantasy-coveted-broadcast-slot.html

Robert Harris wrote The Ghost in which a Labour Prime Minister (thought to be based on Tony Blair) is murdered, it was turned into a huge film and won loads of awards, screened by the BBC....Yet not a peep from the Daily Mail :rolleyes:

Will you be listening to the book at bedtime with a mug of Horlicks?

Edited by Mister M

Sounds interesting, I've always enjoyed alternate timeline stories. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder why they're calling it "sick and perverted".

I like the comments on the DM pages:

"It can't be that bad or The Daily Mail book shop wouldn't be selling it. Hypocrites."

"The DM review calls the book "Brilliant""

and here it is:

http://www.mailbookshop.co.uk/StoreFront/Product/Hilary-Mantel/The-Assassination-of-Margaret-Thatcher/16028444

Edited by alchresearch

Sounds interesting, I've always enjoyed alternate timeline stories. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder why they're calling it "sick and perverted".

I like the comments on the DM pages:

"It can't be that bad or The Daily Mail book shop wouldn't be selling it. Hypocrites."

"The DM review calls the book "Brilliant""

and here it is:

http://www.mailbookshop.co.uk/StoreFront/Product/Hilary-Mantel/The-Assassination-of-Margaret-Thatcher/16028444

Yes the Daily Mail are first class hypocrites, they fulminate against the sexualisation of children, yet take any opportunity to publish pictures of underage girls in provocative poses.

I'm reading Wolf Hall again at the minute. Her writing is incredibly finely tuned, and extremely enjoyable.

I'm reading Wolf Hall again at the minute. Her writing is incredibly finely tuned, and extremely enjoyable.

I've not read Wolf Hall yet, though apparently it's a great read - enjoy!

The highly regarded author Hilary Mantel has caused a load of protest because her short story "The Assissination of Margaret Thatcher" is going to be read on Radio 4s Book at Bedtime slot.

Predictably, the Daily Mail has been wetting its knickers and foaming at the mouth at this 'outrage'. But all they are doing is publicising it :rolleyes:

Acutally reading the article I don't think they have. They've been reporting other people who are doing that but from a read through all they are doing is reporting the news, with little in the way of the Mail's opinion.

As for listening to it I probably will. Alternative history ones are always interesting, The Difference Engine and Ruled Brittannia are a couple of favourites of mine.

Acutally reading the article I don't think they have. They've been reporting other people who are doing that but from a read through all they are doing is reporting the news, with little in the way of the Mail's opinion.

As for listening to it I probably will. Alternative history ones are always interesting, The Difference Engine and Ruled Brittannia are a couple of favourites of mine.

Hmm not sure about that. They describe the story as 'Mantel's twisted fantasy', and it's reporting feeds directly into the long running feud the Mail has with the BBC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2873006/Thatcher-murder-BBC-s-Book-Bedtime-Radio-4-ignores-protests-author-s-sick-perverted-fantasy-coveted-broadcast-slot.html

Robert Harris wrote The Ghost in which a Labour Prime Minister (thought to be based on Tony Blair) is murdered, it was turned into a huge film and won loads of awards, screened by the BBC....Yet not a peep from the Daily Mail :rolleyes:

Will you be listening to the book at bedtime with a mug of Horlicks?

Have you read The Ghost ?

I have, and there's no doubt it was based on Blair, Pierce Brosnan played the part in the film and seemed to me to be going down that route as well.

As it happens I've no time for either Blair or Thatcher, ones a war criminal and the other one was corrupt and probably the most divisive PM we've every had.

It surprised me that Harris didn't have problems with 'The Ghost' as Blair is still alive and wasn't exactly portrayed in a sympathetic manner in the book.

As Thatcher is dead ( she is still dead isn't she? Anyone checked up recently? ) I don't see a problem from a legal standpoint but doubt I'll bother reading it.

I for one wont be listening to it, I intend to spend my spare time indulging in my love of sound tracks. I think the Wizard of OZ is on my list to listen to soon..........