HGV class 1 renewals after 4 years is it right and safe?

having just renewed my HGV class 1 licence after it lapsed about 4 years ago, as i may need it next year with my motorcycle race team i am setting up.

i was surprised to learn it was a matter of just getting a new medical and off you go? now i took my HGV test in 1990 and drove for approx 6 months for work to get some experience and then moved on to other things and so havent driven a class 1 since then:o now i think i will be fine but will obviously take a few refresher lessons before driving again as the trucks and roads are very different today, multi gears ratios , height speed etc etc...BUT what if someone like me didnt take a refresher course?? not very safe ????? can this really be the case:o

Driving a truck is something you don't really forget once you've learnt.you will find out most trucks nowadays are automatic so easier to drive anyway

You will also need to do your driver cpc training now.

having just renewed my HGV class 1 licence after it lapsed about 4 years ago, as i may need it next year with my motorcycle race team i am setting up.

i was surprised to learn it was a matter of just getting a new medical and off you go? now i took my HGV test in 1990 and drove for approx 6 months for work to get some experience and then moved on to other things and so havent driven a class 1 since then:o now i think i will be fine but will obviously take a few refresher lessons before driving again as the trucks and roads are very different today, multi gears ratios , height speed etc etc...BUT what if someone like me didnt take a refresher course?? not very safe ????? can this really be the case:o

Its like riding a bike you never forget.

Trucks havnt got harder they are much easier,most being Auto's nowadays.

If you drive with any earnings or money involved you will need to sit a DCPC and any trucks after 2006 will be fitted with a digi tacho so you will req a card.

Same goes for a car/motorcycle etc, learn to drive when 17 and then you could theoretically take a 52 year break and still drive without a retest.

Same goes for a car/motorcycle etc, learn to drive when 17 and then you could theoretically take a 52 year break and still drive without a retest.

A friend of mine got her license but never used it until some 5 years after she got it. She was a terrifying driver and after some gentle nudging she decided to take a refresher course. Now she is a slightly less terrifying driver :hihi:

Trucks havnt got harder they are much easier,most being Auto's nowadays.

If you drive with any earnings or money involved you will need to sit a DCPC and any trucks after 2006 will be fitted with a digi tacho so you will req a card.

yes i can drive a truck fine no problems and wont be driving for hire or reward just personal use, all i was saying was that someone with a long period of not driving a truck would be less safe in a commercial environment, town centre multi drops etc etc and would be better after a long lapse taking 2 or 3 compulsory refresher lessons.

yes i can drive a truck fine no problems and wont be driving for hire or reward just personal use, all i was saying was that someone with a long period of not driving a truck would be less safe in a commercial environment, town centre multi drops etc etc and would be better after a long lapse taking 2 or 3 compulsory refresher lessons.

Before taking someone on, most firms will take them out in a wagon for an assessment drive to make sure they know what they're doing. If they've been out of the game for years and were observed making serious errors I doubt they'd get the job.

The way to re-learn is by doing the job. but if you want to go for lessons then why ask for advice?

By the time you have reached the first drop,you will already be pretty re-climatised,the rest will take time refresher or not.

---------- Post added 31-10-2014 at 17:27 ----------

Before taking someone on, most firms will take them out in a wagon for an assessment drive to make sure they know what they're doing. If they've been out of the game for years and were observed making serious errors I doubt they'd get the job.

I wouldnt go as far as saying 'most firms but certainly the bigger companies often do.Its not always on the first day though.The bigger hurdle will be that as a requirement for insurance at some bigger companies is that you have worked 180 days in the last 6 month or year i cant remember.

I didnt think the OP was looking for work i thought it was already gained.If it is work then a DCPC will be needed.

The way to re-learn is by doing the job. but if you want to go for lessons then why ask for advice?By the time you have reached the first drop,you will already be pretty re-climatised,the rest will take time refresher or not.

In the OP, I didn`t feel he was asking for advice. He was commenting on the fact all he had to do was get through a medical. He asked if others thought it was safe if they were not taking refresher courses like he was taking.

I think the refreshers are a good idea OP :thumbsup:

Wrong, not everyone who earns a living using an HGV needs a DCPC I suggest you take a good long look at the exemptions before making incorrect statements. :)

https://www.gov.uk/driver-cpc-exemptions-examples

Edited by Winemaster
Added link