Anyone remember a band called Wild Garden?

i'm just curious. as a very young teen i played in a band called leave it to bert who were part of something called "the great sheffield cd" which was put together by take two and did a packed gig at the octogan. i played with them for a while but then left to form my own band called wild garden. crap name, i know. we played around shef for about five years trying to be everyone from the beatles to pearl jam and even lenny kravitz. we split up and a couple of us went and formed bhuna who were better and hung around for 10 years. wild garden kinda was a bit of an embarrasment to me, like an old girlfriend you don't want reminding of but i just dug out an old tape and i'm finding myself really liking it!!!! anyway, this is just a call out to anyone that knew us back then if anyone.

I don't remember them, I've never heard of them.

Hope that information helps

WG no but LITB yes.

I have the cd kicking around somewhere,there was you and various that played at TT, it was a B&W sleeve and put together by Marcus @ TT and another guy and Howard Willy.

I use to work @ TT very early on just as Marcus got brewery funding to turn it into a live venue, will try to find it now and give it a listen.

i played with leave it to bert for about a year. they were my first band and they were about 10 years older than me and coming ot the sad realisation that many musicians have to face, that it aint gonna happen. i aint heard the TT cd for many years. i remember the LITB track being pretty lame. it would be good to hear from anyone from that time who knew LITB or WG. it really doesn't seem that long ago. i still know the WG lads but LITB i lost touch with years ago. my first ever gig was at take two night club with The Warhols and i still have photos of that gig and bands about to play were the stone roses, primal scream and the levellers!!!! what a place take two was!!!!!

It was a place indeed, who would have thought an old Roadstar PA and monitor desk would work :loopy:

And all the bands crammed onto that stage hahaha.

Remember them? Why, they're as clear in my recollections as they would be if I'd seen them play yesterday!

Wild Garden were one of a handful of bands in Sheffield at the time who were influenced by Polynesian surf-jazz and the cabaret scene of East Germany.

The singer, a large Nigerian woman called Scott, had an unforgettable stage presence with the lights gleaming on her bald head and her wooden leg thrust defiantly forward.

She would begin each performance by appearing on stage in white robes and a silver crown, riding atop a Galapogos tortoise. As the audience whooped and cheered, she'd spring from the reptile's back wildly swinging the euphonium she'd made from the thighbone of a mastodon. Then she'd fall weeping to her knees clutching a piece of raw liver and muttering incomprehensibly about the decline of the Cornish tin mining industry for the rest of the evening.

Why don't we have bands like that anymore?

Remember them? Why, they're as clear in my recollections as they would be if I'd seen them play yesterday!

Wild Garden were one of a handful of bands in Sheffield at the time who were influenced by Polynesian surf-jazz and the cabaret scene of East Germany.

The singer, a large Nigerian woman called Scott, had an unforgettable stage presence with the lights gleaming on her bald head and her wooden leg thrust defiantly forward.

She would begin each performance by appearing on stage in white robes and a silver crown, riding atop a Galapogos tortoise. As the audience whooped and cheered, she'd spring from the reptile's back wildly swinging the euphonium she'd made from the thighbone of a mastodon. Then she'd fall weeping to her knees clutching a piece of raw liver and muttering incomprehensibly about the decline of the Cornish tin mining industry for the rest of the evening.

Why don't we have bands like that anymore?

Sounds familiar...but from your vague discription could be one of many bands from 'back in the day'.:hihi:

Never heard of them either l'm afraid, but there was a fantastic band called Rough Copy that were Sheffield born n bred and played great music in the late seventies and early 80's. Pete, Gareth,Mark and Tommy.....where are they now?

Halcion days eh?

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen them in their golden years, the days of the classic line-up.

The drummer was a stern and sombre character called Neti Musktoad. He was ferociously anti-drugs and once stabbed someone in the tongue with a screwdriver for suggesting that aspirin was "quite useful". On occasion he'd change his stage attire to that of jackboots, fishnet tights and a peaked cap with a death's head insignia brazenly displayed upon it. For this transgression he would be forced into a small vivarium by the other band members and made to summon his muse from therein until the completion of the night's events.

On bass was Chick Dingo- probably the least argumentative person I've ever met. He was only 3' 7" and had to wear specially adapted shoes to reach the controls on his amplifier. He bore an uncanny resemblance to Yootha Joyce and would often play an amplified walking stick with strings made from knicker elastic.

I miss their like terribly.

I remember many excellent evenings in the company of Wild Garden. Fond memories

Never heard of them either l'm afraid, but there was a fantastic band called Rough Copy that were Sheffield born n bred and played great music in the late seventies and early 80's. Pete, Gareth,Mark and Tommy.....where are they now?

Halcion days eh?

Top lad Reesh.

mark