Lead water pipe removal - How much will it cost?

I have recently found out that my water main is lead, I was wondering if anyone had had their lead pipe removed or had any idea how much this would cost, are there any government funded/part funded incentives?

Thanks all.

All depends how long the pipe is and the route it takes.

Materials are very little, its mainly labour.

I think at one time the water company would replace this pipe for you at a nominal charge, but things may have changed since they were privatised.

How far is the pipe entry into the house from the stopcock on the pavement ? If it's only a few yards then the lead pipe isn't likely to be a problem, especially if your first use of water in the day is flushing the loo. And if you have hard water then there is already a protective mineral coating on the lead in the pipe.

I think at one time the water company would replace this pipe for you at a nominal charge, but things may have changed since they were privatised.

How far is the pipe entry into the house from the stopcock on the pavement ? If it's only a few yards then the lead pipe isn't likely to be a problem, especially if your first use of water in the day is flushing the loo. And if you have hard water then there is already a protective mineral coating on the lead in the pipe.

I don't think it's a problem in Sheffield anyway because the water is made very slightly alkaline, so the lead cannot dissolve.

The free replacement policy that I heard of, which may still be in force, only covered leaking or 'crappled' lead pipes. You could always make sure that it is leaking! :D

However, before contracting anyone to do the work, be clear about who owns the lead pipe once the work is complete. If the quote does not mention the pipe, then it is yours and you are entitled to the scrap value, so if the plumber takes it away without paying you for it, that's theft!

the length (which I can only judge by cars) is around 6 saloon cars, had them out already and they say there's a leak somewhere and the repair bill is down to me as I own the pipe.

Not fussed about the scrap value as I wouldn't be able to get the entire length of pipe, just after a rough idea really.

we had the lead replaced a couple of years ago - supply pipe into our 2 bed semi and up to the loft for water tank - maybe similar length to yours, maybe more complex

Cost £200 and the plumber kept the lead as part of the deal - so make sure he gives you something for it

hope that helps

we had the lead replaced a couple of years ago - supply pipe into our 2 bed semi and up to the loft for water tank - maybe similar length to yours, maybe more complex

Cost £200 and the plumber kept the lead as part of the deal - so make sure he gives you something for it

hope that helps

that's great cheers.

Hi,

Just wondered if you managed to get it changed as I have a lead pipe that needs changing to copper.

How much was it in the end?

I would be happy to come and have a look for you and give you a price, free callout.

Thanks Steven

Edited by mabsta

that's great cheers.

Is it internal or external. The las external one we did was about £600, digging 10 metres 3m concrete 7m soil. I live near halfway so if you'd like a free quote please call me then you'll know a more exact figure of cost.

Hi, we charge £40 per merter to replace the external lead water mains which i think you will find is quite competertive for more info or for a free no obligations quote just give me a call on 07931729011.

kind regards Paul

hi mate i replaced the lead pipe coming in to the house not long since ago the water board did not charge for their part ie from the road to the boundary wall beyond that i had to dig up to the house and lay the blue water pipe and connect into the plumbing of the house which had to comfim to water board bye laws