Refund for Housing Bond

My granddaughter has just left a property and they wanted £100 to replace flooring in kitchen,

Just as you entered the house you went straight into the kitchen and having a small child wheeled the pram inside but the flooring became discolored in the doorway not the whole kitchen which after almost a year is to be expected I would think. Shes tried removing it but wouldn't make a difference. what do others think

Normal wear in my opinion. If the landlord wanted to protect it, a mat should have been provided.

The bond will be held in an approved scheme, so our opinion is irrelevant, dispute the deduction through the scheme.

They have never said where her bond was deposited nor an inventory the new property she has moved into has done both those things

They have never said where her bond was deposited nor an inventory the new property she has moved into has done both those things

Wouldn't it be illegal to not have the deposit in a deposit scheme, has been for quite some time.

I'm not sure that it would be a criminal offence; but non-protection means that L cannot use the s.21 Notice procedures.

The bond will be held in an approved scheme, so our opinion is irrelevant, dispute the deduction through the scheme.

When disputing bond deductions the DPS heavily side with the tenant, £100 to replace flooring would be either fully rejected or knocked down to something tiny like a tenner.

Wouldn't it be illegal to not have the deposit in a deposit scheme, has been for quite some time.

Not illegal, but the tenant can take the landlord to court for not protecting their bond properly.

The standard judgement is 3X the bond amout to be paid by the landlord to the tenant.

This acts as both punishment and deterrent to anyone else attempting to dodge the protection scheme.

If she complains they told her it would delay the re-payment back to her & she borrowed the money & needs to repay it. Now they seem to have found a small chip in the worktop but yet she had problems with Damp & because she was on benefits they wanted her to claim for a new boiler

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 14:15 ----------

also the deposit has been put into account in Bristol

It does mean that the deposit will be held by the scheme whilst the dispute is assessed.

When we receive your Dispute Application we will contact the other party to request their response and for the disputed money to be paid to us. Having reviewed the case to confirm we are able to adjudicate, the dispute will be referred to an impartial adjudicator. Within 28 days they will examine all of the evidence to decide how the deposit should be apportioned and write a report explaining the reasons for their decision. We will then issue the report and pay the disputed money accordingly.

What do you mean about Bristol?

What do you mean about Bristol?

The DPS registered address is in Bristol.

(I don't know if their bank is in Bristol though?)

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 14:58 ----------

If she complains they told her it would delay the re-payment back to her

It does mean that the deposit will be held by the scheme whilst the dispute is assessed.

The dispute service is pretty quick, there won't be much of a delay at all.

Certainly not worth worrying about when a few quid is on the line.

Edited by geared

She's already given them £100 for the floor now they wanting money for new worktop don't know how much it will cost + £40 for fitting

---------- Post added 03-05-2017 at 15:16 ----------

Sorry DPS is in Bristol which I find confusing