Hard to hear mumblings on TV programmes

Anyone else have the same problems? Tuned in to Happy Valley last night. loved the first series, but even turning the sound up couldn't catch much of what was being said in some scenes. Have noticed the same on several recent otherwise really good productions.

Anyone else have the same problems? Tuned in to Happy Valley last night. loved the first series, but even turning the sound up couldn't catch much of what was being said in some scenes. Have noticed the same on several recent otherwise really good productions.

We have the same problem, may be an age thing! We use subtitles otherwise it's like Chinese whispers in our house, we each think that something completely different was said!

Thought it was just me. Does seem to happen on quite a few programmes though.

It's a BBC drama problem and it's been going on for a few years now. Jamaica Inn was the worst and came in for a lot of criticism. More recently War and Peace was mumbly in many parts.

A quick search for BBC drama mumbling shows up both these programmes as well as Happy Valley which has had a lot of complaints.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=bbc%20drama%20mumbling&oq=bbc%20drama%20mum&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.7529j0j8

I have problems with the subtitling on recent programmes as the type is tiny, presumably because my TV isn't huge. It must be that they assume everyone has massive 60"+ TV screens now

Jamaica Inn was so bad for this I couldn't follow the plot at all and stopped watching it after the first episode.

Hannibal was shocking in places for this. last couple of Harry Potter films were bad as well if memory serves.

I find this with many programmes, especially films though. I always have subtitles on when available.

I find a lot of the newer programmes from David Attenbrough/and similar type programmes have really loud background music too which leaves the talking as a mumble. That annoys me. It's a shame with all the tech these days that you can't lower the background music.

I find this with many programmes, especially films though. I always have subtitles on when available.

I find a lot of the newer programmes from David Attenbrough/and similar type programmes have really loud background music too which leaves the talking as a mumble. That annoys me. It's a shame with all the tech these days that you can't lower the background music.

Hannibal was shocking for that too - I'd have killed that sodding drummer if I could, as would my neighbours. ;)

If you have a digital TV you could add a soundbar, starts at about £50 up to around £300 ish.

I'm too tight to spend too much on stuff like this really but we did find our cheapish soundbar improved on some of the bad quality/mumblings.

Happy Valley was bad. Made me wish I could lip read.

Thanks for replies. At least I can rest assured its not just old age taking over!! Still so annoying though when its an otherwise really good production.

And I did find the same on other programmes mentioned - most recently War and Peace. Off topic but did anyone else enjoy Dickensian as much as I did? Found it brilliant.