Advice Please on where to live :)

Hi there,

Ive lived in Sheffield as a student for many years (city centre and crookes) and looking to move back to Sheffield again! However, my partner will be commuting to Barnsley and I am unfamiliar with the different areas in the North Sheffield. Does anyone have any advice/which areas are nice to live in? I have seen online a lot of people have said South of Sheffield is nice, but that will be a much longer commute to Barnsley.

Many thanks :)

Jen

Lots of North Sheffield is really nice, places like Grenoside, Wharncliffe Side and Oughtibridge are generally pretty quiet and have awesome views.

Hillsborough is closer to town and has good transport links.

Chapeltown is quite nice and has good access to the M1 and Barnsley.

Question is how close to the city centre do you want/need to be.

They also have houses in Barnsley :)

What are your priorities?

Deepcar and stocksbridge , chapeltown and high green are all an easy commute to Barnsley.

If you liked Crookes (and Walkley) you could live there again as it's not much further from Barnsley than Hillsbro.

Decide on the sort of area and house you'd like to live in first.

Worth mentioning as well that since the Universities have build loads of new student halls areas like Crookes, Walkley and Eccelsall have lost alot of their student population with the houses now being occupied by everyday professional types.

What is your budget? Because its not good recommending areas if you can't afford to live there.

Chapeltown is a 15 min drive to central Barnsley and has a train station on the line to Barnsley / Sheffield. There's a few busy but unremarkable pubs in the centre and all the usual food places-KFC / Pizza Hut etc. What it lacks is decent (or any) restaurants, and wine bars are still unheard of. Not even got a Costa yet and Hillsborough has two!

Western Bank, Broomhill areas are nice and quiet areas.

Chapeltown is a 15 min drive to central Barnsley and has a train station on the line to Barnsley / Sheffield. There's a few busy but unremarkable pubs in the centre and all the usual food places-KFC / Pizza Hut etc. What it lacks is decent (or any) restaurants, and wine bars are still unheard of. Not even got a Costa yet and Hillsborough has two!

There used to be a very good restaurant in Chapeltown, Greenhead - has that closed? Otherwise your eating out options are very limited but it isn't far to drive to Ecclesfield or anywhere, with the M1 two minutes away.

Greenhead is still open and is good. The Commercial is one of my favourite pubs as I drink ale, whisky and gin and it has excellent taste in all 3. Restaurants are a weak spot - the Staindrop tries but kills dishes by clumsy generous finishing (drowning rice in soy etc). No Costa but it has some nice cafes like Chapuccino - have a look on Tripadvisor.

I drive and train to Barnsley regularly from Chap and it's easy if you can avoid the queues around J36 at peak times. The queue of cars trying to get on the A616 to Manchester etc over a hideously badly designed roundabout really slows it down.

---------- Post added 08-06-2017 at 16:29 ----------

Not even got a Costa yet

You almost manage to make that sound like a criticsm.

You need to decide which is more important...

the length of commute, or to live in a good area? The job that you commute for may not be your job for the next 20 years, but the house you live in may well be?

You can't go wrong by going for the best location you can afford. Even if it means a lesser house.

If you lived in the South of England, as I have done for many years due to work, you get used to driving 1-2 hours to get to work, even for a short trip in terms of mileage. I don't see what the issue is in driving 40 minutes from the South side of Sheffield, to live in a better area, with better schools (should you ever have children) and better facilities, safer streets, etc.

Don't know if you have kids, or whether you plan to have them, but think carefully about this. It's not about commuting time, it's about standards in life that you want for yourself and your children.