Handy Husbands. Business opportunity.

I saw a van driving round in Australia with the name 'Handy Husband - 'we do all those jobs he said he'd do, but never gets round to...'

I thought it was a brilliant idea, and one that somebody over here could borrow. It said it all. There's a real need for odd job men, I'm sure somebody could make a good living out of it.

I speak as someone who knows an old lady who ended up paying an electrician the best part of £50 to change a lightbulb....

The names a bit tacky and sexist. It's like starting a company called "good cooks, we cook great tasting food unlike your wife"

I agree, very sexist.

I'm a woman and I'm quite capable of not getting round to DIY jobs, thank you.

I agree, very sexist.

I'm a woman and I'm quite capable of not getting round to DIY jobs, thank you.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

We need a 'like' button on SF (897th request, and counting).

What a sad three you are, thank you Anna B, It made me smile, and it was well thought out.

That type of business model has been on TV loads of times. Its always suggested to failing family run DIY / hardware shops as an extra service they can provide. There is a need for this type of work but agree the name is awful.

I used to know someone who did small jobs like this but you have to think about the time wasted travelling between jobs if you aren't going to charge much.

The business model would work fine. But if you think that you can only do 4 to 5 jobs per day and have to hold a lot of stock and tools in your van, or you do 2 jobs a day. Visit person leave and purchase goods and tools needed, return, do small job.

To pay a decent wage you would need high prices that most Sheffielders would not be prepared to pay!

The business model would work fine. But if you think that you can only do 4 to 5 jobs per day and have to hold a lot of stock and tools in your van, or you do 2 jobs a day. Visit person leave and purchase goods and tools needed, return, do small job.

To pay a decent wage you would need high prices that most Sheffielders would not be prepared to pay!

Price is always going to be an issue. As I said in intro - old lady had to pay an electrician £50 to change a lightbulb, which is ridiculous. Time was when a neighbour or family member would pop round and do this sort of thing, but sadly, that's not happening so much these days. A lot of jobs are necessary (or even essential) but not worth a lot of money.

Maybe the voluntary sector could take it up, or a retired person doing it on an hourly rate.

Talking of sexism, nobody seems to care that care assistants, usually women, (Suggested Company name - "We look after your Mother so you don't have to") are not paid for time spent travelling from job to job etc. and are rushed off their feet working very hard for minimum wage.

Men, it seems, wouldn't be prepared to do that.

Price is always going to be an issue. As I said in intro - old lady had to pay an electrician £50 to change a lightbulb, which is ridiculous. Time was when a neighbour or family member would pop round and do this sort of thing, but sadly, that's not happening so much these days. A lot of jobs are necessary (or even essential) but not worth a lot of money.

Maybe the voluntary sector could take it up, or a retired person doing it on an hourly rate.

Talking of sexism, nobody seems to care that care assistants, usually women, (Suggested Company name - "We look after your Mother so you don't have to") are not paid for time spent travelling from job to job etc. and are rushed off their feet working very hard for minimum wage.

Men, it seems, wouldn't be prepared to do that.

It is a scandal ans probably the largest one there is. It is the same for people who are contracted to clean people's home on a self employed basis. Similar too are the people who work in distribution warehouses who turn up to work in the middle of nowhere only to find they are not needed that day, or the delivery driver who can't make minimum wage because there is a traffic jam, and houses have back door only entrances in Sheffield which isnt factored into head offices spreadsheet of timing. The issue is that these people are employees and should be treated and compensated properly, they are not running a business and so should not be seen as self employed contractors.

If you vote Tory (inc new Labour) you get Tory and the rights of the worst off are eroded. Pretty sure even more rights will be eroded if we leave the Eu but that has little to do with handy husband business idea

It is a scandal ans probably the largest one there is. It is the same for people who are contracted to clean people's home on a self employed basis. Similar too are the people who work in distribution warehouses who turn up to work in the middle of nowhere only to find they are not needed that day, or the delivery driver who can't make minimum wage because there is a traffic jam, and houses have back door only entrances in Sheffield which isnt factored into head offices spreadsheet of timing. The issue is that these people are employees and should be treated and compensated properly, they are not running a business and so should not be seen as self employed contractors.

If you vote Tory (inc new Labour) you get Tory and the rights of the worst off are eroded. Pretty sure even more rights will be eroded if we leave the Eu but that has little to do with handy husband business idea

thanks for that. I agree.

You seem to be contradicting yourself Anna B. You swing from saying an old lady paid £50 for her light bulb changing so perhaps somebody can do it on an hourly rate then turn round and complain about people only being paid a minimum wage, no travelling for doing a similar role. :confused:

If somebody paid the handy person an hourly rate this would still have to be covered by the charge to the person needing work done. Even if it was a not for profit organisation the charge would still need to cover the vehicle, fuel, insurance etc. and other overheads one way or another.

A lot of elderly people have a cleaner. If there were more than one light source in a room the cleaner could change a light bulb.

It is awful people don't know their neighbours or neighbours don't help. We always seem to he been lucky with our neighbours and have helped each other out.

I have often thought about more sheltered housing where people can live independent but are all close by if they need extra help. I know some of this type of housing exists but from what I can see its more expensive than hiring full time help when you look at the cost of purchase and ongoing fees. I am talking about people that only need the odd bit of help as you suggest, not someone that needs nursing care.

You seem to be contradicting yourself Anna B. You swing from saying an old lady paid £50 for her light bulb changing so perhaps somebody can do it on an hourly rate then turn round and complain about people only being paid a minimum wage, no travelling for doing a similar role. :confused:

If somebody paid the handy person an hourly rate this would still have to be covered by the charge to the person needing work done. Even if it was a not for profit organisation the charge would still need to cover the vehicle, fuel, insurance etc. and other overheads one way or another.

A lot of elderly people have a cleaner. If there were more than one light source in a room the cleaner could change a light bulb.

It is awful people don't know their neighbours or neighbours don't help. We always seem to he been lucky with our neighbours and have helped each other out.

I have often thought about more sheltered housing where people can live independent but are all close by if they need extra help. I know some of this type of housing exists but from what I can see its more expensive than hiring full time help when you look at the cost of purchase and ongoing fees. I am talking about people that only need the odd bit of help as you suggest, not someone that needs nursing care.

You're right, I am confused. It takes only minutes to change a lightbullb, so 15 minutes on minimum wage should probably cost no more than £2.50.

OAP's seem to be ripe pickings for con men, and anyone who would charge a vulnerable OAP £50 for changing a light bulb I think falls into that catagory, although no doubt there will be others who disagree.

Same with fees for sheltered housing, and the various schemes that are supposed to help old people but whose main aim is to part them from their life savings. They might desperately need help, but surely it should not be at any cost. Too many people seem happy to exploit others these days.

These sort of services, and homecare, homehelps etc used to be done by the council for 'free,' and it was a better world because of it. Since privatisation it just seems to be a licence to rip people off.

Edited by Anna B