Disabled access

Hi, could anyone help me with sourcing help to get disabled access to my house? The Adult Social Services have already said they wont be able to fit a ramp due to building regs. I dont qualify for an adapted house because I own my own, and hubby is my full time carer so we cant sell up and move somewhere better :help:

I don't really understand this situation , you can't access your home how do you live their? Is your home a listed building hence no ramp can be built ?

I cant leave the house without help, the ramp was refused because there isnt enough space to fit one

Hi, could anyone help me with sourcing help to get disabled access to my house? The Adult Social Services have already said they wont be able to fit a ramp due to building regs. I dont qualify for an adapted house because I own my own, and hubby is my full time carer so we cant sell up and move somewhere better :help:

Why can't you sell and find a more suitable home Peaches?

No, we are in our own house. We have asked the council if they can help move us, but they have declined because we own our own property. In the new change to housing allocations, unless we sell our house and give them notice of the papers being sold they wont move us, in that case it means we would lose our benefits because of the equity in the house

---------- Post added 09-04-2016 at 22:38 ----------

Jane My husband is my full time carer so has no wage coming in

I would love to give a answer to your problems but it seems an impossible situation . I'm guessing here if the ramp can not be fitted to the front what about the back of the building is their space here ?

You have to go up one set of steps, turn and go up another flight to the front door, if you go up one flight and go straight there's an alley and a step up to the back door. The OT Technician came out and did some measurements but the gradient would be too steep was what she said, so building regs wouldnt be met. I've had a lady inbox me suggesting a lift, so I will go back to the Social Services and see where I would get with that. To be honest, they havent been particularly forth coming with anything, I've had to ring up and request each individual thing I've needed myself

The problem with Social Services is they have been cut to a bone Iv recently had to sort out care for my Grandmother who has got Dementia it was not easy . I do see were the lift suggestion coming from weather they would fund it I don't known if plush came to pull could you afford to install a lift?

No is the short answer, with Hubby not being ale to work, and being bound to DWP regulations we arent allowed to have any more than £6k in savings I think that the lift would be a lot more than that even if we had that level of money

Only idea this , what about getting a joiner to make a strong removable ramp ? Because the ramp removable building regulations shouldnt apply . The ramp itself would have too be long but it could be made to folded up after use . Another material is aluminium but that sort of thing would need a metalsmith.

he area is too big to cover for it to be removable x