Where can you go rowing (as in boats .. not arguing) round Sheffield?

Thanks chem, a romantic picnic on a boat in Millhouses pond isn't exactly what we had in mind. Don't think you're allowed on Ladybower, the jetty being just for the water authority bods ... but I'll check. That would be good! :)

Ha ha ha, I can just picture you and Mrs Alcoblog dressed as pirates with all the other kids on the tiny Millhouses pond.:hihi:

There is the little paddle boat thing in Millhouses park. I also recall seeing jetty's up Ladybower.

No affordable houseboats then ?

No affordable houseboats then ?

i wish this forum had a like button ;)

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I was just wondering how the Alcoblogs (or anyone else for that matter) got on with finding somewhere to put a boat in some water somewhere and just enjoy a day of easy rowing.

I'm asking because I just purchased an inflatable kayak myself and don't particularly want to join a club or anything.

There's loads of reservoirs etc. round here, are they all owned/ran by clubs or buisinesses?

Dam flask would be good, what's the deal there?

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I was just wondering how the Alcoblogs (or anyone else for that matter) got on with finding somewhere to put a boat in some water somewhere and just enjoy a day of easy rowing.

I'm asking because I just purchased an inflatable kayak myself and don't particularly want to join a club or anything.

There's loads of reservoirs etc. round here, are they all owned/ran by clubs or buisinesses?

Dam flask would be good, what's the deal there?

I wish I'd seen the old date before reading the whole thread, I thought it was a new Alco post, seems I missed this first time round :hihi:

I'd thought of responses too, what a ****! :hihi:

The thread made me laugh though.

-

As for your post Caddist,

They're very flimsy. I've had a go in one of those 2 seaters in the sea, and even when the sea was relatively calm, it was terrifying when the other participant finds it funny to rock it when we were miles out* :shocked::hihi:

*about 500yds

Mainly YW or Severn Trent I think, around here.

The reviews for the one I've bought are pretty good and I'm the sort of guy who'd find it hilaroius to rock the boat miles out.

I've one of

Thinking of taking it to the seaside tomorrow but would be nice to use it somewhere round here though.

Alchoblog posts are always amusing, I think if I met him in real life it would destroy the cartoon character of him I have in my minddseye. (or maybe not ... :suspect:)

Edited by Caddist

The reviews for the one I've bought are pretty good and I'm the sort of guy who'd find it hilaroius to rock the boat miles out.

I've one of

Yeah that looks pretty good! The one I use looked similar but 2 seater... that looks better quality though.

Thinking of taking it to the seaside tomorrow but would be nice to use it somewhere round here though.

Alchoblog posts are always amusing, I think if I met him in real life it would destroy the cartoon character of him I have in my minddseye. (or maybe not ... :suspect:)

Seaside sounds good. Like I said water was pretty calm when I went on one (it was down Devon way), but we didn't have any lifejackets or owt. I'd recommend using them if going in anything more than 'pretty calm'. They're pretty easy to capsize.

Try Towsure on Holme Lane for a dinghy

When cycling down chesterfield canal have sometimes seen canoes or kayaks, it tends to be nearer to retford than chesterfield. Years ago a friend use to go on the cromford canal.

I think you need insurance or canoe membership to avoid paying license fees:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canoeing-and-kayaking/canoeing-faqs

We cycled down yesterday and some idiot has scattered drawing pins in the muddy bits of the towpaths. Many cyclist seen repairing punctures. Cyclists Beware. And if anyone spots anyone buying drawing pins in the area please ask them what they're buying them for, they might be shamed to stop this practice. At the end of the day dogs and wheelchairs can also be harmed.

Whatever you do and wherever you go don't forget your lifejackets :thumbsup:

1. Where can you buy inflatable boats from, in or around Sheffield?

Everywhere.

Even Lidl and Aldi were selling inflatable kayaks.

Not great but cheap, good enough for amateurs on occasional trip.

Those are PVC only so not really rugged. We even took one of those into sea.

On a calm day inside even calmer bay and along shoreline but it managed.

Those are good enough to get you hooked.

GO outdoors and Decathlon are selling really decent inflatables. Proper seaworthy.

Remember to buy buoyancy vests, especially if you plan to go into sea.

2. Where can you (preferably legally) paddle about in them around Sheffield? Scenic views are important here!

Ladybower is apparently not for kayaking.

I did it once and park ranger? told me that it is not allowed.

I told him I could not find any information that it is forbiden so I assumed it is not. We parted in peace.

Look for information on websites of any governing bodies.

River Don is really nice, just drive to Sprotbrough and lunch from there.

River and canal trust is responsible for it I belive.

Inflatables might be exempt from paying membership/licencing fees.

When it comes to sea it's free for all.

Just get buoyancy vests, emergency radio and light and watch weather forecast.

Some infaltables are really seaworthy.

3. We DON'T want a kiddies type boat! :)

Just make sure it can accommodate two adults. Volume and weight wise.

And use it within reason.

both universities have rowing clubs (and open days I belive) they use dam flask. failing that rother valley country park and ulley res.