Ronksley history

Hi anyone heard of the Ronksley family?found a link at Fulwood and at High Bradfield Church - my mum is researching it at archives and just thought would mention on here in case anyone has any interest or local knowledge thanks :-)

An ice cream man called Mr Ronksley used to come down our street in High Green. His ice cream was the best. I think he retired and his brother took over. That was some time ago though. Double 99 with 2 flakes, hundreds and thousands and red sauce, - great.

John Ronksley the ice cream man is still out and about around s6.If you want to catch up with him head for the Wisewood area aroud 6 at night and listen for the chimes of "if you go down in the woods tonight".You never know he might give you some broken cornets...lol

John Ronksley is indeed still going strong at 70 and lives in Hillsborough. In the 1950s/60s his parents Jack and Vera (also still going strong as far as I know, now aged 93 and 90) sold ice cream at weekends for Jack Clayton of Haden Street, and John later went into the business. He's the nicest bloke you could hope to meet (always good for a few broken cornets :P) and a "regular" at the Hope car boot sales!

The family has its origins in the Bradfield area, and "Ronksley Moor" can be found on the OS map, above Howden Reservoir. I'm sure that more information on Ronksley roots could be obtained at the "Family History Day" to be held in the village hall at Low Bradfield on Sunday 24 October, from 10 am to 4 pm.

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Sarah Ronksley. Lived in Elgin St., Crookes. She married John Webster, who died quite young, and then Albert Siddall.

bill ronksley ex president of the aslef rail union lives at stannington i believe.

Someone in the family must have been a significant figure in the city's history. There are a couple of streets in the Firth Park estate which were given the name Ronksley, and I think there was a Ronksley Avenue (now demolished) in the Victorian housiing somewhere near Burgoyne Road or at the back of the Kelvin flats.

ronksley crescent, ronksley road named after a james ronksley member of a well known stannington and rivelin family, owned a farm at stannington and land at shiregreen.

I know the icreammans brother,Trevor who lives at loxley,who is also know as The Crow Man of Craigmiller.for more info get in touch with Tony Batty

bill ronksley ex president of the aslef rail union lives at stannington i believe.

Is this the same Bill, father of Terrence & Brenda ?