Does anyone remember Greenhill Hall and what happened to it?

Does anyone remember Greenhill Hall and what happened to it?

I have come across an article dated December 1965 showing an absolutely fantastic medieval hall dating from 1312, which appears to have stood in the middle of Greenhill Village.

How is it possible for such an obviously historic building to disappear? It was obviously still there in 1965

i think you'll find this became the sheffield works department depot on greenhill main road.....i think the old hall and farm was part of this and the site adjacent where the flats are.when kiers took over and transferred their operation to manor lane the site was used to build new houses which are now called "old hall mews"....we were thinking of buying one but they are so tiny and the price is through the roof....even now there are many unsold if you want one.....

i think you'll find this became the sheffield works department depot on greenhill main road.....i think the old hall and farm was part of this and the site adjacent where the flats are.when kiers took over and transferred their operation to manor lane the site was used to build new houses which are now called "old hall mews"....we were thinking of buying one but they are so tiny and the price is through the roof....even now there are many unsold if you want one.....

I am pretty sure there was some controversy over this.

I think the hall had been the family seat of some long standing family who may have been involved in securing Canada for Great Britain a few hundred years before.

I know that all the lands belonging to the estate were taken over by Sheffield Council in order to build the surrounding council estates (around 1948/50).

I may be wrong on the next bit so would welcome any input from local historians.

The Hall was also taken over by compulsory purchase and left empty or filled with problem families or similar. Whatever it was used for caused the place to become derelict. Rather than spend money repairing the damage, it was bulldozed. (around 1965/66)

I was once told it was the most significant historic building in Sheffield. Such is the way our heritage is destroyed.

Can anyone fill the gaps?:huh:

By the way anlabystreet. You are correct. Once the hall had been destroyed the council used the site as a vehicle storage depot.

Can you imagine Bakewell council demolishing Haddon Hall so that they had somewhere to store gritters?

My Dad is a bit of an artist and painted the Hall before it was ruthlessly demolished. He is still seething about it to this day!!

My Dad is a bit of an artist and painted the Hall before it was ruthlessly demolished. He is still seething about it to this day!!

Can you take a picture and show us

PLEASE

There is one picture on[ Picture Sheffield]

Can you take a picture and show us

PLEASE

Leave it with me, I'm not sure if I have it here (in Spain) or in UK. I am back Friday for a flying visit so I will post either way next week

My ancestors used to live in Greenhill Hall, when I found out it was demolished in 1965 I was livid. I just cannot understand why such an important, superb building could be allowed to disappear virtually overnight.:loopy:

for a good photo see picturesheffield.com

Regards

Martin

it was compulsorily purchased, ruined and then demolished in yet another of those acts of Council vandalism so beloved of Sheffield Labour Party in the 20th century.

It was one of the most beautiful places you can imagine. I can't think what passed for brains in SCC in those days, except spite and jealousy that it didn't belong to one of them.

They almost managed to do the same to the Bishops' House, but somehow it refused to die :)

I'm glad they didn't, the Parkers are also on our family history !!:)

I used to live on James Andrew Cres, our house was just in front of the flats where the hall stood. An old man who lived on the street told me that the council took over the hall and put a large family in, and from then on it just deteriated, and they pulled it down. He also told me that James Andrew had something to do with the hall and also was involved in the Canada incident, hence the name of the street.

My mum used to live there during the late fifities early sixties before it was torn down. I have a picture of her sitting in front of it - but it's the only one I have, and it doesn't show too much of the place.

:(