Husband & Company..

Does anybody know if a member of the architect Husband family lived in Fulwood, somewhere around the Quiet Lane/School Green Lane junction, in the early 70s? I remember that a family called Husband had donkeys there.

My name is David Jackson and I worked on the 6th floor in Mechanical Services straight from college with Bill Mcdermott, starting in 1972. I worked on the new Sheffield town hall project and I also remember a telescope design going through the office while I was there. Mr Kington (Kingy!) was our boss and scared us all. His secretary was (big) Stella who sort of took us under her wing. I think she felt she was protecting us from Kingy. I say big Stella because I well remember little Stella from the general office on the 4th floor. That was a lively place! What a great crowd!

Me and Bill shared a flat on Ecclesall Road where we had some pretty great parties, from what I remember of them. I seem to recall an office night out at the Bier Keller which got a bit out of hand, when one of the 4th floor girls spun her car on the roundabout outside the keller. The police weren't amused.

I stayed at Husbands for only a year, because while it was great fun, career-wise it didn't really do it. So I moved on to London and then out to the Far East. I've now lived in Cambridge for nearly 30 years, and still miss Sheffield in many ways.

Hello,

I'm working on a major 6 part TV series on Britatin's most iconic bridges. I'm looking to talk to anyone who was involved with or remembers the fire and rebuild of the Britannia Bridge over the Menai Straits. Husband & Co handled the rebuild in the early 70s. If anyone worked there during that time or has any stories to tell about it - or knows people who do - I'd love to hear from you! Kate.Szell@channel5.com

Many thanks,

Kate

Hello . . . my name is William Barwick from Australia.

I am trying to contact descendants of the late Professor Joseph Husband who may still live around Sheffield. Joseph Husband's mother was Phillis Lodge Barwick and she married Anthony Husband in 1859. Joseph and his son, Henry Charles "Tom" Husband were founder and associate of Husband and Company.

My interest in the Husband family relies to family history research I am doing. I am particularly interested in obtaining extant photographs of the Barwick/Husband family into the 1800s.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. If you are able to provide any leads or contacts, I'd be most appreciative!

A very good friend of mine worked at Husbands.

Rod Smith, this was in the late 60's.

He lived on Hereward Road at Sheffield Lane Top and later moved to Edwinstowe.

Any news of him would be appreciated !

My Ex Girls friends Mum worked there for years. Her name was Janet Vickers

I started as an office junior in July 1978 and left October 1979, and have extremely fond memories of Husbands. I worked in the general office under Ron Walker and a lady (Beatrice somebody (cant remember surname)), she taught me shorthand every lunchtime, so I actually didn't get any lunch most days! It was great, the social calendar was brilliant (pity the pay wasnt up to scratch or else I'd have stayed a bit longer!) We had such a laugh in the office, I often wonder if anyone is still around from those days. I would expect Linda is and Julie (from the office opp), there was Mo (lovely bubbly Mo) and Jean and Brenda, Josephine (who I would like to apologise to for smoking when she really hated it, sorry Josie - I haven't smoked now for 20 years!) Also Marion and a snooty woman (can't remember her name who was soooo full of herself and we used to laugh at her!) Then there were the girls next door who were such good fun. Then OMG there were the partners ... it was like Dallas and JR! I once got told off for using their loo - only partner bums could use those! And Sir Charles once commented to me ..."are you a horse woman?, with such long legs .... it made me chuckle!! They were lovely but in their own world I think. I often wonder if any of the staff went down to Mott MacDonalds but with what you said sounds like redundancy followed. Would love to hear if anyone knows of people mentioned, Im racking my brain to think of the other secretaries, though I remember Val from 8th floor, I think! :roll::love:

I think you may have started just as I was leaving Husband & Co. I was the office junior from 1976-78 and left to go back to Grimsby. I remember Jean/Brenda and Joan who were in charge of the post/circulation of etc. I remember Linda, Maureen and Marion. Josephine just started as a temp when I was there and I assume she was taken on permanently. As you say Mr. Walker was the office manager and Mrs. Justin or Gennery (I think her name was) was his assistant. Mrs. Gennery/Justin was very good to me and also gave me shorthand lessons during my lunch hour. When I had a week off on holiday she requested I took a recording machine home and practised whilst I was off (lovely lady). Julie was in charge of the photo-copier and her friend Karen (who was a secretary on 5th floor I believe - pretty girl with blond hair) lived with Julie for a while. It was my first job and I have very fond memories of Husband & co.

Hi, I believe your sister is Vivienne Anne Packer (her maiden name).

Edited by STR948

Hi, I believe your sister's name is Vivienne Anne Packer (her maiden name). I was at the University in the mid 60's and I lived in Sorby Hall on Endcliffe Vale Road. I dated Viv in 65-66. She was the love of my life but, unfortunately, circumstances pulled us apart. I have actually met you when I came to your house with Viv. I have been trying for years to get in touch with her. If she is willing please ask her to email me, otherwise please pass on my regards.

It seems 'PaymePal' stopped using the forum a number of years ago so you are unlikey to get a response. It might be possible that the mods can help you. Try clicking on 'Help & Contact Us'. Good luck.

It seems 'PaymePal' stopped using the forum a number of years ago so you are unlikey to get a response. It might be possible that the mods can help you. Try clicking on 'Help & Contact Us'. Good luck.

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try.

Edited by STR948

Thanks Jim. I'll give it a try. Anybody else out there remember Vivienne?

Does ANYONE know how I can get in touch with PaymePal?

Anyone on here worked on the CAPLAB Project in the 1970's? I was full time on that from British Steel for 4 years but based at BISRA building on Hoyle Street. Mr Kington was involved - he was a an ex-BISRA man I think. John Littler was the architect.