Who remembers Penistone Road

who remembers the sandwichshop next door to the new barrack tavern. the original building is still there on penistone rd...! I was a nipper back in the day and remember many things on and around penistone road. when the houses were to be demolished i left the area wen i was eight.

Moved many times since but that was my home and they had no cause to tear it down

I remember FTW motor bike shop opposite the gates at Hillsborough park.

Also the Pigeon sheds on the banking opposit whats now Montys Motors.

Used to get my hair cut at Lightening Freds. Shop was between Barrack and I think there was a glass fronted cafe on the corner of Bamforth and Penistone Road. Worked at Daniel Doncasters from '65-'82. Bought my paper at "Mac's" every morning.

cafe must have come later after my time, memory not the best but i thought I read Poppy Hallams was on that corner??

Remember being on stike,(again), early 70's and outside Daniel Doncasters, in a big punch up between police and pickets. Both me and my boss, the forman, got detained by a pc. He was about to book us when another scuffle started. He stood us up against the wall and said we should stay until he came back. We legged it to the cafe across Penistone Road and drank tea and watched the drama across the road. Happy, militant days.

Edited by patto
spelling mystayke

the cafe was definately next to the baracks pub in 1982 cos I started work at Presto tools and I always went there for my lunch.

I can remember the cafe used to be a shop in earlier times.Also Lightning Freds;there used to be a joke that you could see a tram crossing Hillfoot Bridge go in Freds get a haircut and still catch your tram.Just down from the Tavern there was a cafe near where Europarts is at the side of that was a pawnshop with the three gold balls above.Ive turned into a boring old fart[HELP]

This photo on picturesheffield. com shows the pub with "Carter's sandwich shop" next door. As old tup wrote it used to be a shop, with "Benjamin Cresswell, grocer" shown at that address (605 Penistone Road) in directories from the 1940s to the early 1970s.

This photo on picturesheffield. com shows the pub with "Carter's sandwich shop" next door. As old tup wrote it used to be a shop, with "Benjamin Cresswell, grocer" shown at that address (605 Penistone Road) in directories from the 1940s to the early 1970s.

So would I be right in saying this is way past Bamforth St almost ?? as far as Bassetts I lived 511 so 50odd houses on:confused::confused:

So would I be right in saying this is way past Bamforth St almost ?? as far as Bassetts I lived 511 so 50odd houses on:confused::confused:

No.....the barrack isn't far from Bamforth Street at all.

The New Barrack Tavern is on the corner of High House Terrace, between Burton Street and Capel Street. Here is a scan from the 1942 directory showing this part of Penistone Road - the shopkeepers' names etc. may bring back a few memories!